22

There was a small crowd gathered near the bathroom when I walked out of there, doing their usual gossiping and whispering about what's going on. Faintly I heard someone mention Cameron being my first mate and the speculation as to what they think happened between us and in that bathroom just now. Even with that ringing in my ears and stirring my wolf I heard something that stopped me dead on the spot, just as I was about to shift and run out the door.

"I'll break the bond myself."

With a quickness I turned on my heels and ran back to the bathroom expressing my deepest apologies as I pushed people out of my way. One of the reasons why I couldn't break that bond and risk killing Cameron is because if it didn't kill me as well, I can't live with that on my mind for the rest of my life. I stripped that Alpha of his wolf and his title, but I can put that back. A life, I cannot. Once he's gone he's gone. That would've weighed heavily on me and when Dominic's wolf releases that control, it will do the same to him.

On my way into the bathroom I bumped into a girl with long blonde curls causing her to fall forward. I caught her just before she hit the floor and again apologized for my actions. When she turned to me I saw the same sadness in her deep blue eyes that I'd seen in Dominic's the day we met. It was masked but still very present. My eyes rolled down to her neck which was covered by her hair but of course, my wolf is very rude and makes me do things before I can properly ask. I pushed her hair away from her neck on both sides noticing there was no mark and then it hit me, the reason for her sadness. I don't know what my wolf wanted from me at this point but she was all over the place growling something I couldn't really understand.

A quick pain shot through me reminding me of my initial destination. Inside my chest, my heart was clenching and twisting bringing forth a desperate need to scream. I looked at the girl's face one last time to remember it then took off again. By the time I reached the bathroom Alpha Dennis and Harold were in there and Cameron laid motionless on the cold bathroom floor with Dominic standing over him staring down with a stone-cold face. He looked up at me with softened features and soon the eyes of everyone else followed.

"He's not dead, unfortunately, but close enough. Notify his family and I'll speak with them personally." Dominic held his hand for me and without a second thought, I took it. I feel bad for not being able to go through with it and am worried that this will cause some kind of rift between us. "We're going home." He threw over his shoulder in a tone that said we needed to be alone. I thought I was scared before when trying to fight off Cameron, but that was nothing compared to the vibe I'm getting off my mate right now.

"Do you want us to end this gathering and come with you?"

"No, Dad. Stay here and have for as long as you'd like. I need the house to be empty."

Oh shit...

With our house being a short distance from the packhouse we were able to walk home. During that walk, Dominic was silent and didn't look my way once, yet he still held onto my hand. When we reached the house he finally gave me a little eye contact as he opened the door for me and motioned for me to go in. I can feel the intensity of his glare burning into me with each step taken increasing the rapid beat of my heart. His last words to his father have been rolling over my brain and through my ears since he said them filling me with wonder.

"Have a seat." He sounded so demanding. Said that with such authority that I actually quivered.

I dropped into the single leather armchair closest to where we were even though I wanted to take the one across the room. The emotions in his voice are indistinguishable and unnerving. He's not going to hurt me, I know he'd never but, sitting in front of an upset very dominant male that's staring at you intently is no cakewalk.