11

I shifted.

My mind couldn't seem to register the meaning behind those words. I blinked several times before trying to speak, only to be met by a whimper instead of my voice. It felt like I was dreaming. The pain I once felt and the burning of the bite Dominic gave me no longer taunted me.

Or was I dead?

Yes, that's it. My idea of heaven would consist of me being an actual wolf and having two guys fighting over me.

"I don't understand," the doctor spoke with a tone that told me he was in complete shock. "I tested her in every possible way that would trigger her wolf just in case she was a late bloomer. Blood transfusions from both full blooded wolf parents and her twin. Injections of growth hormones as well and all of them resulted in no activity from her wolf."

Pulling the small pen-like flashlight from his breast pocket, Doctor Hemming lowered himself until we were eye level and looked me over for the second time. Oddly when his hand moved past my face I caught the faint traces of soap followed by a slew of others, one, in particular, causing me to purr.

"Jade," jolted from my sudden daze brought on by that tantalizing aroma, I turned my head as much as I could and suddenly felt the aching in my neck, once more. Pain like that means I'm definitely not dead. "Can you shift back for us, please? Just imagine yourself in human form." The head nurse draped a sheet over my body but still asked all the men in the room to turn around.

Closing my eyes I did as I was told and instantly felt my bones pop and crack as they reclaimed my small frame. It hurt but thankfully it wasn't too bad. Once the transformation was complete I rolled off my side and onto my back clutching the sheet close to my body. It wasn't until then that it actually hit me and excitement began to well in me.

Had it not been for the dull aching in my arms and legs, I'd would have hopped off the bed and danced my ass off. I've waited, wished for this day for so long and now that it's happened I can't wait to do everything I've watched my brother do.

No sooner than I settled on my back, both my parents rushed over to me smothering me with kisses, bringing their combined scents with them.

"Guys come on, you're going to make her sick, again. Or make me sick. One of the two." Jaxon groaned making his way over to me, pushing our dad out the way as he leaned down and kissed my forehead gently.

"Why do you smell like the maple trees in grandma's back garden?"

He chuckled nudging my arm. "Maybe reminding them of something else warm and sticky is why all the ladies want a piece of me."

"Yeah... because a man that constantly smells like breakfast is such a turn-on?" Sarcastically speaking, I smirked, trying my best to sit up. Without hesitation, he gripped me by the arm as he adjusted the pillow behind me. Doctor Hemming and his nurse approached either side of the bed both scribbling something on their clipboards. It wasn't until then that I caught that tantalizing scent once more. It was powerful, intoxicating and had my eyes rolling to the back of my head with each deep breath I grabbed.

Turning my head in the direction of it, I opened my eyes and found them focused on both Dominic and Cameron... who was standing surprisingly close. I looked at Cameron first feeling a pull to him. A twinge of want pooled in me and suddenly I wanted nothing more than to run my fingers through his blond hair. Looking into his eyes proved to be a mistake. All the pain I suffered at his hands rushed back to me. His words echoed in my brain and hurt my heart just as much as it had the day he said it. Absently I ran my hand over the spot where he bit me, feeling... nothing.

He must have somehow felt it because he took a single step toward me. A growl sounded beside him sending my eyes over to Dominic. When he looked up at me, my heart took off at a speed that I just knew would lead to my death. I could hear each and every beat and even feel my blood pulsing through it. Involuntarily I inhaled in his direction latching onto that scent and sighed so loudly that he groaned. That sound in itself had my temperature rising.

This feeling was new to me. Everything was. Looking at him was like seeing him for the first time and all the things that ran across my mind that night were back. Again I could feel his lips touching mine, his hand following the curve of my hips as he pulled me into him and his manhood pressed against my aching desire.

Fuck, I want all of that. Right. Now.

Another breathless moan escaped from my chest as my breathing picked up and I swung my legs over the side of the bed keeping our line of eye contact. Cameron was watching me intently as was everyone else but I didn't give a damn and neither did the voice inside of me demanding Dominic's touch.

"Jade, you shouldn't be up."

"Char..." I faintly heard my mother speaking before my father silenced her. There was authority in her tone and being that she is directly related to Alpha males, I should have stopped and at least acknowledged her. I was on a mission, however. To be in the arms of the tall brunette with eyes the color of melted chocolate, standing a few feet away from me.

Suddenly a hand grabbed hold of my arm, sending a wave of shocks through me.

Cameron.

I whipped around and growled just before another hand latched onto my other arm causing my body to heat up and ache with need. Looking in the other direction I saw that it was Dominic holding me with darkened eyes narrowed on Cameron.

"Get. Your. Hands. Off. My. Mate!" Cameron nearly shouted through clenched teeth.

"She's mine." Dominic retorted and again I damned near melted from his tone. I was torn. The beast inside me—although hurt by Cameron—still wanted my born mate. Yet, she longed for Dominic. Just the thought of his name made my body warm.

From the other side of the room, another growl sounded and Jaxon stepped up with eyes just as dark and his brows lowered. Upon his second step, my father gripped his shoulder firmly.

"Stay out of it, Jackie." He warned. Meanwhile, my brother was still struggling to get free.

"They've already treated her like a chew toy. I am not going to stand here and let them hurt her anymore."

"This is absolutely remarkable!" Doctor Hemming chimed in randomly causing everyone but the two men holding me to look at him curiously. Did he not see this game of tug-of-war going on over here or my brother shaking like he was about to shift? "Never in my years have I ever seen or heard of a wolf having two mates!"

"That's because he isn't her mate! I AM!" Cameron again spoke through clenched teeth inducing a growl from Dominic. "You claiming her means nothing!"

"Wait a minute, you claimed her?"

Dominic looked over at the doctor for not even a second before looking down at me and nodded. In that one look, his eyes flashed with remorse, but I didn't take it as regret.

With his hands up in mock surrender, Doctor Hemming approached us and with a soothing tone, explained that he needed to examine me further.

"It will just be for a moment, fellas." He looked between the two then motioned for me to sit on the bed. Dominic and Cameron both released me at the same time but still kept their eyes on me. Back on the firm hospital mattress, the doctor came over to me pushing my hair back then tilted my head from side to side. After staring at the bites on my neck, a light seemed to go on behind his eyes and he smiled.

"I think I understand, now. Jade was born with your blood which is also the same as Jaxon's, being that they are siblings. Now that I am thinking about it, giving her that blood wouldn't have made a difference or triggered her wolf, because it was already coursing through her veins. However, the saliva from being claimed would have been of a different bloodline and enough to activate that gene." He paused and looked to my parents, both of the guys, then me, "All you needed to shift was to be claimed. When did it first happen Jade?"

I looked over at Dominic thinking about that day before I answered, "About 3 days ago?" My mind was clouded and to tell you the truth, after looking at Dominic and thinking that he wants me, I can't tell you what day it is.

"And the other was today, correct?" I nodded. "Hmm. It's my belief then that the first bite is what initially awakened your wolf. The second would have only kicked started the process and sped things along."

"What does this mean? Which of them is her mate then?" My mother asked with a mixture of excitement and confusion. I'd like to know the answer of that my damned self. So I looked up waiting for him to speak, ultimately disappointed by what he said next.

"Honestly, I haven't the slightest idea."