31

"What do you want?" Dominic growled after what seemed like an extremely long paused. It was so loud and so ferocious that even I jolted behind him. Glancing over his shoulder he sent me an apologetic look then returned his gaze to the Alpha before us. "After everything you expect us to just take your word? Why should we believe you?"

"I brought your pack back, didn't I?" I could tell from the tone of his voice that some of his confidence from before had been taken down a few notches after Dominic practically roared at him. Hell, I don't blame him. My knees are still a little shaky from it and it wasn't even directed at me.

"Again, you expect us to believe that you're being helpful out of the kindness of your heart? I'm no fool kid and I should rip you apart for indirectly suggesting I am." My mate is getting angrier by the second and honestly, I'm a little confused about why. I get that he doesn't trust Trent because I really don't either but he seems extra edgy right now...even for a normal alpha male. Before speaking into his mind I placed my hand on his back and began rubbing gentle circles into it. He relaxed slightly but not nearly as much as I'd like.

"Dominic?"

"I don't trust him near you or MY pup!" he cut in before I even had the chance to really ask him what's wrong. I should've known that was the reason. I think with any male that's not family or my doctor, Dominic would be in attack mode around however, I don't really feel like that protective stance is needed right now. I don't know why but I get this sense that there may be some truth behind Trent's words.

"Look," the young alpha took a cautious step forward with his hands up showing he meant no harm. "I know we got off on the wrong foot but this is me trying to make amends. I don't want to be known as the one Alpha the King and Queen of Weres personally hate. Aside from that, there is something I need from the two of you."

Again my mate growled but this time lowly. I felt it vibrate through him and slipped my hand underneath his shirt hoping the skin to skin contact would be a calming agent for him while I tried to take control of this situation. "And what might that be?"

"My father. If I have to beg for his wolf back then I will. All my life I looked up to him. Even in the toughest times, he stood strong. Right now he's a man I don't even recognize. A mistake was made and on behalf of his I apologize."

"You dare ask for something without answering my question?!" Dominic was shaking even more, almost violently now. I ran my hand higher up his back, taking a step forward to caress his arm with my free hand.

"What my mate is asking you is how do we know we can trust you?" Trent's eyes instantly fell on me. He bowed his head slightly in my direction then looked quickly over his left shoulder. A brunette that I recognize from school stepped forward until she was by his side then took his hand. Internally I was scowling but on the outside, I managed to keep a straight face....at least I think. This girl, Brenna, and her little friends put me through hell day in and day out. It was to the point that I stopped going to school just to avoid her torment until Kenya literally dragged me out of my room and beat her up in front of the whole school. After that day she would make small comments but only when Kenya wasn't around. It doesn't surprise me that she would up and leave with Cameron or even be mated to a prick such as Trent. It probably pissed her off to high hell hearing that I not only had a wolf but a superior one at that. Too bad I didn't get to witness that.

Brenna looked to me with what appeared to be fear then tried to push back her nerves by tilting her chin. "What he says is true. When we left with Cameron he promised us he would give our wolves back on a certain day. When that day came he promised us another day, and then another before we started making plans to leave him and return home."