O5. A DAY WITH THE BEAVERS

THE RECKONING:CHAPTER FIVE

THE RECKONING:
CHAPTER FIVE

Peter shrugged, he took Lucy's hand as Susan and Eleanor linked arms and Edmund followed behind last.

"Come on," Mr. Beaver insisted, leading the children through cliffs. "We don't want to be caught out here after nightfall."

His words sent shivers down Eleanor's spine.

The continued to travel, under a bride, they soon came across a dam in a frozen pool. Smoke coming from the chimney.

"Ah, blimey! Looks like the old girl has got the kettle on. Nice cup o' Rosy Lee." The beaver spoke about his wife as if the pair were human, and Eleanor couldn't process it- at all.

"It's lovely." Lucy chimed.

Mr. Beaver waved his hand in dismissal. "It's merely a trifle. Still plenty to do. Ain't quite finished it yet. It'll look the business when it is, though."

"Beaver, is that you? I've been worried sick! If I find you've been out with Badger again I... Oh! Well, those aren't badgers. Oh, I never thought I'd live to see this day," she looked at her husband. "Look at my fur. You couldn't give me ten minutes warning?"

"I'd have given a week if I thought it'd help." Mr. Beaver chuckled.

"Oh, come inside," Mrs. Beaver waved the children in. "See if we can get you some food and some civilised company."

Mr. Beaver chuckled, as did Lucy and Peter as they followed Mrs. Beaver inside.

"Now, careful! Watch your step."

Mrs. Beaver chuckled. "Excuse the mess. Can't get Mr. Beaver to get out of his chair."

Edmunds eyes wandered to two hills, they had been pointed out to him by the witch he had met earlier. But of course, nobody knew.

"Enjoyin' the scenery, are we?" Mrs. Beaver joked. Edmund shook off her comment and entered the dam.

||

"Isn't there anything we can do to help Tumnus?" Peter asked, hope laced in his voice.

Mr. Beaver sighed. "They'll have taken him to the Witch's. You know what they say. There's a few that go trough them gates that come out again."

Mrs. Beaver dashed out dishes and accidentally dropped one at her husbands words, Eleanor watched as Lucy's face twisted into fear.

"Fish 'n' chips!" Mrs. Beaver exclaimed quickly. She turned to upset little girl, "But there is hope, my dear. Lots of hope."

Mr. Beaver spat out his tea. "Oh, yeah! There's a bit more than hope! Aslan is on the move."

The children looked serene as Edmund entered from his place on the stairs. "Who's Aslan?"

Mr. Beaver began laughing. "Who's Aslan?" He slapped his knee. "You cheeky little blighter!"

Mrs. Beaver elbowed him. "What?"

The pair looked at the children's confused faces, they shifted uncomfortably as the beavers inspected their every move.

"You don't know, do you?"

"We're not from your world, s-sir." Eleanor stammered.

"Well," Mr. Beaver placed down his glass and hopped up form his chair. "He's only the king of the whole world! The top geezer. The real king of Narnia!"

Edmund looked unimpressed and returned to his place on the steps.

"He's been away for a very long time." Mrs. Beaver let out a sigh.

"But he's just got back! And he's waitin' for you near the Stone Table!" Mr. Beaver exclaimed, Edmund and Eleanor shared a worried and confused glance.

"He's waiting for us?!" Lucy asked, shocked.

Mr. Beaver raised what he called an eyebrow, although Eleanor would've called it a piece of his skin with fur on. "You're blooming joking! They don't even know about the prophecy!"

Mrs. Beaver pursed her lips. "Well then."

"Look, Aslan's return, Tumnus' arrest, the secret police, it's all happening because of you!" Mr. Beaver exclaimed, although the children didn't look pleased.

"I'm sorry, you're blaming us?!" Eleanor exclaimed, she felt Lucy intertwine her hand with her own and she calmed down a little.

"No! Not blaming. Thanking you!" Mrs. Beaver rushed her words.

"There's a prophecy: when Adam's flesh and Adam's bone sits at Cair Paravel in throne, the evil time will be over and done."

"You know, that wasn't really a rhyme." Susan added.

"Yeah, I know, but you're kinda missin' the point!" The beaver was frustrated.

"It has long been foretold that two Sons of Adam and three Daughters of Eve will defeat the White Witch and restore peace to Narnia. One of whom will be tracked as The Red Knight, the greatest swordsman Narnia will ever inhabit. It is the Knight who shall be the defender of mankind. No one can beat them."

"And you think we're the ones?!" Peter asked.

"Well you'd better be, 'cause Aslan's already fitted out your army."

"Army?" Eleanor asked, shocked. "Our army?"

"I don't know about you Eleanor, but our mother sent us away so we wouldn't get caught up in the war." Susan said.

"I think you've made a mistake. We're not heroes!" Peter declared, the others agreeing with him.

"We're from Finchley!" Susan said, knowing after talking either Eleanor that the two were in fact in the same school.

"Hmm?"

"Thank you, for your hospitality. But we really have to go." Susan said, standing up.

"No. You can't just leave!" Mr. Beaver begged, wandering at the children's feet.

Susan and Peter had stood up, just as Eleanor was about to, Lucy grabbed onto her sleeve and by accident, pulled her a little to hard so that she sat back in her seat.

"Ow, Lucy!"

Peters attention turned to the girls, he watched as Eleanor's frown softened when she met his eyes, the pair shared a comfortable look.

"He's right." She turned to Eleanor with a look of sadness that begged for forgiveness and help. "We have to help Mr. Tumnus."

Eleanor opened her mouth, but all that came out was something nearly audible. "Lu, I-"

"It's out of our hands. I'm sorry, but it's time us five were getting home. Ed?" Peter turned around, expecting to see his grumpy brother. Instead he saw a dusty stair.

Peter spun back around to Susan. "I'm gonna kill him."

Eleanor stood up, everyone now on their feet, Mr. Beaver stepped forwards. "You may not have to."

Everybody was confused, the three eldest sharing confused looks.

"I'm sorry," Eleanor hesitated. "Sir. But what do you mean?"

"Has Edmund ever been to Narnia before?"

( authors note )
I'm checking over this while writing the second book and I love the development that Eleanor and Lucy have, they're probably my favorite 'relationship' through these fics <3