O6. THE STORY OF AFTER DINNER

THE RECKONING:CHAPTER SIX

THE RECKONING:
CHAPTER SIX

The children, accompanied by the beavers, had bravely chosen to follow Edmund. On the way, the beavers had told them that the queen wasn't exactly good, they hadn't gone into detail too much, understanding that they are still children. Their coats weighed them down massively, but it hardly slowed them down as they watched Edmund walk to the witch's castle.

"Where's his coat? He'll freeze to death." Eleanor commented.

"Hurry!"

The children quickened their pace, watching as he, in the distance, entered the witch's gates. "Edmund!" Lucy shouted, as they all stood at the top of the snowy hill.

"Sh! They'll here ya!" Mr Beaver said, quite harshly. Everybody but Eleanor seemed to be more focused on Edmund. And not on the castle, out of literal ice, that stood not too far from them. It looked like one big glacier, it beamed a blue colour, and Eleanor was in awe. From the corner of her eye, she watched as Peter was ready to sprint after Edmund, but the beaver grabbed the sleeve of his coat and pulled him back.

"No!" The beaver cried out.

"Get off of me!" Peter struggled against his grip, suddenly wishing he didn't have his coat on.

"You're playing into her hands!"

"We can't just let him go!" Eleanor shouted, trying her very best to defend Peter, even if the thought of losing him scared her.

"He's our brother!" Susan cried, throwing her arms to her sides. "He's family."

"He's the bait!" Mr Beaver snapped. "The Witch wants all five of 'ya!"

"Why?" Peter asked, calming down and taking a step backwards. When he did so, Eleanor grabbed his arm and without even looking at him, she pulled him beside her.

"To stop the prophecy! To kill 'ya!" The beaver snapped suddenly, letting his shoulders fall in defeat. The air fell silent, as did the snow. The children seemed to stare blankly, sometimes at each other, other times at the scenery around them.

"Wait," Eleanor took a step forwards, making Peter frown. "You said one of us, is The Red Knight, did you not?"

The beaver nodded, intrigued by the young girl and her ideas.

"If one of us is The Red Knight, the defender of mankind, could we not just....." Eleanor gulped. "Could be not just kill her?" Her theory made sense; defrauder of mankind, not beatable in any way shape or form... all they would have to do is figure out who it is.

"What if it's him? Edmund?" Mr. Beaver asked, Eleanor sighed in defeat and took a step back.

||