O9. THE DAWN OF TIME

THE RECKONING:CHAPTER NINE

THE RECKONING:
CHAPTER NINE

Peter and Eleanor emerged from Peters tent, their heart to heart healing both of their worries. The pair noticed Oreius walking past, he stopped and the royals followed his gaze.

Aslan, and next to him, Edmund. They stood on a hill above the camp, deep in conversation. Nothing can be heard, the pair where soon joined by Susan and Lucy who also turned to see what they were looking at.

"Edmund!" Lucy tried to run towards him, but Eleanor quickly stopped her. Edmund turned around, he and Aslan quickly finished their conversation and joined the group.

"What's done is done. There is no need to speak to Edmund about what has happened." With that, Aslan left them.

"Aslan!" Eleanor called, leaving the family at peace, her and the lion walked.

"Your majesty, how can I help?"

Eleanor smiled at what he called her. "I've been meaning to ask you, is there way I could train? I don't think I have the natural swordsmanship that Peter has, and I am supposed to be The Red Knight." Eleanor chuckled nervously.

Aslan nodded knowingly. "You are The Red Knight, young one. You need to address yourself by it."

Eleanor sighed, the praise reached the hill that Aslan was just on, speaking with Edmund.

"Aslan. I- I really can't do this. And, before you protest, I don't believe I deserve to be The Red Knight, either."

Aslan chuckled, sitting next to Eleanor who sat on a rock. "Don't be so foolish, my queen."

"I'm hardly a queen either. I'm not Peter, I can't go out and save people, I'm not like Susan- smart. And I will never compare to Lucy." Eleanor hung her head. "The witch will laugh in my face, Narnia will- I cannot rule this place."

"Not with that attitude,"

Eleanor sighed, giving Aslan a knowing look.

"I sense there is another underlying reason. What's wrong, dear one?" Aslan was comforting.

Eleanor sighed. A tear rolled down her cheek and she bother bottom lip.

"I assure you talking helps, Eleanor."

She smiled weakly and let out a laugh. "I- uh, back home. There's a war, a really big one involving bombs and stuff and I-"

Eleanor took a deep breath.

"I'm not so sure my father will survive. No after how much I want him to, no matter how much I hope he will. It's silly to even hope it."

Aslan sighed. "It's not silly, Eleanor. It's realistic, and assuming the worse never does anybody any good."

Eleanor quickly wiped away her tears, she turned to Aslan and smiled. "Thank you, Aslan."

The lion bowed his head, "Of course, young one."

Eleanor hugged Aslan's mane, and with a quick curtsy, Eleanor ran off to rejoin the Pevensie's.

||

The children sat around a low table, eating breakfast. Edmunds clothes were similar to Peter's, the others watched as he munched hungrily on what looked like toast and honey.

"Narnia's not going to run out of toast, Ed." Eleanor said, making the other laugh.

"I'm sure they'll pack something for the journey back." Peter said, casually.

The other turned to him, all confused and concerned.

"We're going home?" Susan asked.

"You are. I promised Mum I'd keep you three safe. But it doesn't mean I can't stay behind and help."

Lucy furrowed her eyebrows. "B-But, what about Eleanor and they need us. All five of us."

"Lucy, it's too dangerous. You almost drowned! Edmund almost died! So did Eleanor! It's not safe."

Edmund gulped. "Which is why we have to stay."

Everybody turned to him.

"I've seen what The White Witch can do, and I've helped her do it. And we can't leave these people behind to suffer for it. Besides, isn't Eleanor The Red Knight? Defender of mankind, supposed killer of the witch?"

As the others agreed with Edmund, his words sent shivers down Eleanor's spine. Killer.

Lucy grabbed ahold of Edmunds hand, her other holding Eleanor's.

"Well," Susan began, standing up as did the others. "I suppose that's it then."

"Where are you going?"

Susan picked up her bow, gave Lucy her dagger and passed Eleanor her sword. "To get in some practice."

||

Susan and Lucy practiced shooting the target, Susan groaned as her arrow nearly missed the bullseye, Lucy smirked as she pulled her dagger from the bullseye.

The pairs attention soon switched to the brunette who had fallen from the small hill about their practice area. She groaned and rolled onto the grass they stood on.

"Eleanor!" Susan gasped,

"Are you okay?" Lucy went to walk forwards, Oreius suddenly jumped in font of the pair, he stood tall, a sword in his hand.

Eleanor groaned as she stood up, most of the camp now watching them.

They began to fight, Eleanor jumping as Oreius aimed for her legs. "Your grace seems..." Oreius aimed for Eleanor's head, she leans backwards as the sword wearily grazed her nose. "Tired."

"Really?" Eleanor asked, out of breath. "I can't think why."

Eleanor launched forwards, before she could actually injury Oreius he grabbed the sword, giving her a smile of defeat.

"That is enough for today," Aslan entered. "Let's not overwork our Knight, Oreius."

The centaur bowed his head, he turned to Eleanor and the pair bowed out of respect. He then took his sword and left.

After watching from afar, the boys joined the group too.

"That looked," Peter began.

"Intense." Edmund added, earning a weak smile from Eleanor.

"It was."

Edmunds horse seemed to inspect Eleanor. It was probably just her mild dislike towards horses that made her think like that, but she couldn't help it.

Suddenly, Mr. Beaver ran up to the children. Causing Edmunds horse to rear. Eleanor stumbled out the way.

"Woah, horsey." Edmund tried to calm it,

"My name, is Phillip." Eleanor and Edmund shared a look, eyes wide.

"Oh-" Edmund stammered. "I'm sorry."

"The witch has demanded a meeting with Aslan. She's on her way here." The children looked at each other in fear.

"Everyone ready?"

( authors note )
I included this to show development?? and a little more about Eleanor as a person, she doesn't have a lot of self-confidence and I think it's important to know that i guess.