Chapter Twenty Nine

"I... I don't know." I sniffed. It had been so long since I'd been to another beach. It came like I'd never went because I was a preschooler or around five years. I couldn't even remember what beach it was.

"It's really nice. I promise."

I peered up at him. His deep brown eyes were staring dead at me with hope. Hope that I would say yes. But...

"Ok." I said carelessly. The words had just slipped out of my mouth. What did I have to lose? I was already committed to doing this thing. I might as well see if he could perform miracles. My heart skipped a beat just thinking about the water.

"Great!" Rion snatched my bag and sandals out of my hand. He was so excited that he headed up the steps leaving me behind.

I eyed his steel tipped boots that were resting on the foot of the steps. Did he just leave me and his shoes here? Shaking my head, I took it up and slowly ascended the stairs. I couldn't get why he was always so excited for everything. It freaked me out a bit. But somehow it tugged at my heart. Tugged to see how someone could be so full of joy. While I had everything on my plate.

"What are you wearing?" I said as I approached his van. Rion was already in the vehicle with it idling.

"Huh?" He asked confused.

"Your feet." I dangled his tanned brown shoes in my hand.

"Oh! Did I forget it? Shit." He slapped his forehead.

I shook my head. "I should have left it right there. But you carried my bag so..." I shrugged, climbing into his van.

"You're not bad at all." He said pushing the gear into one.

"What?"

"You could act like a bitch and really drive my nerves. But you could be a decent person. Actually, I think you're a good person."

I jerked my head back, "What do you mean by that?"

"Nothing. Just forget it."

I studied his face for a few seconds and then focused my attention on the road. There were really no cars around. Then Rion made a left turn into the road leading to Pigeon Point.

"You're carrying me to Pigeon Point?" I said pulling my bag closer to my waist. It was slowly slipping off my lap.

"No, Swallows."

"Swallows?" I repeated.

"Yeah. Never been?"

"I... I can't remember. It had been so long since I'd really been to another beach."

Rion just shrugged. He pulled onto the side of the road near the entrance, and parked. "Let's go." 

"Aren't you going to put on your shoes?" I was taking my time to climb out the vehicle. I held on to the hem of my sundress trying my best not to make it blow up with the wind.

"Nah." He waved his hand. "The beach is right there."

"Do you always walk around bare feet? Your feet will get crusty and hard. Look!" I point at his feet. "They are already white." I grimaced.

"Well you could always give me a pedicure." Rion smirked. He had a wicked smile on his face after I winced at his suggestion.  

I shoved the van door close and pushed pass him. I didn't know why everything he said or did bothered me so much. I carefully stepped on the rocks by the entrance, and when I met the sand, I slipped off my sandals. The place was so serene. It even looked much better than Store Bay. The water looked calm and really shallow.