Chapter Twenty Four

I sat on the cold, wet tiles underneath my ice cold shower. My hands and body were trembling. I could feel the pneumonia coming on but I didn't care because I was a bother to everyone.

"How could I be so stupid!" I whispered to myself.

Rion was right. I was a pathetic little girl with no life and a friend who felt sorry for me. All these years I was a burden to Anya. Not anymore.

Daddy issues? Did I have daddy issues? What did I do to make him think that? Who cares! He's a loser anyways.

"Maliah!" Two bangs sounded on my door. It was faint because all the water from the shower was flowing over my ears. "Maliah!!"

It was stupid Rion. Why would he think I'll answer him now after what he told me? I turned the shower knob further to the right so the water pressure could be harder on my aching body. It would drown whatever sounds he made.

~~~~~~

I gasped for air! I had fell asleep under the shower. Coughing up water,  my body woke itself from stifling underneath. The water didn't feel cold anymore on my skin. In fact, it felt warm. I reached slowly for the handle and twisted it off.

Then the cold front air outside the bathroom hit me. "Shit." My body shivered as I reached for my pink fluffy towel.

I dried my skin carefully not opening the towel too much for the cold air to beat my skin. Dragging my feet out the bathroom, there was silence all around. I could hear the shuffling of my feet on the hardwood floor.

He was gone. Thank God. I glanced up at the wall clock in the kitchen, it was ten past ten. I had spent an entire four hours in the shower. Sigh. I didn't have the zeal nor the energy to get dressed. I crawled onto my soft and comfy bed and laid there until I fell asleep.

~~~~~~

"Maliah!! Maliah!!"

"Ummm..." I moaned. I rolled over to opposite side of my bed and pulled the floppy pillow over my head. I had to remind myself to get new pillows. They were terrible at drowning out sounds.

"Maliah!! Open up! It's Anya!"

"Anya?" I groaned. What did she want? I thought I was a burden to her. Why would she come here? Ugh! Can't people leave me in peace?

"If you don't open this door, I'm gonna break it down. Or worse yet, get Ms Flint." She threatened.

I tugged the sheets closer to my face and curled myself into a fetus. She could have done whatever she wanted. It wasn't my problem anymore.

Then there were silence. Finally! Anya took the hint and disappeared. I closed my eyes to go back to sleep but felt a brush of wind as the sheets flew off exposing my half naked body.

I flew up and covered myself with my hands as much as I could.

"Maliah!!!" Anya shrieked.

My eyes shot back and forth, left to right as Ms Flint and Anya stood in front my bed peering at my half naked body.

"What the hell!!!" I screamed.

"Ok. Thanks Ms Flint." Anya turned to Ms Flint and smiled.

Were they collaborating?

"No problem Ms Anya."

"This is invasion of privacy!!" I slapped the bed. "You had no right Ms Flint!" I screamed at her but she just strolled out of the room ignoring me.

I glared daggers at Anya who was just standing there with her arms folded. "Give me my blanket!" I outstretched my arms.

"No!" She shook her head.