Electic 7: Night is Frightening

I'm BACK! I apologize I've been gone so long, but I've been struggling with many things over this past freshman year.... Besides that, I am now going to try and concentrate mostly on this story, because I have everything figured out about it and need to finish it for you guys and me. 

So here it is! Electric! Chapter 7

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"You...you're in the New York Mafia?" I stuttered. My mind was swimming as what Jessie just told me bounced around my skull. 

"No no! I'm not in the mafia," Jessie began, he sighed and spoke more quietly, "my dad is." 

I had seen mafia movies before, all basically the same. They're tough guys who do bad things for good or bad reasons. However, they aren't good people. Noticing my awestruck face, Jessie took my hands quickly in his. 

"Don't think i'm just trying to get out of being friends with you. It's just a little risky for you to be hanging out with me." He squeezed my hands. "I really like you, Jinx." He smiled sheepisly, and I gave a warm smile back. 

"Even if your dad is apart of a mafia, that doesn't change our relationship. I say we continue being friends and you should continue visitng me at the pawn shop." I tell him. His smile grew wider as we stepped down from the float. 

"Mr. Segreto, your car awaits." A man in a suit with glasses said. Jessie gave me a hug goodbye and went with the man. I stood there, unsure of what to do considering I was far from where I had last seen Riley. I began to walk up the street nonchalantly. I couldn't even see the large mass of people who had been crowding together to view the parade. Maybe they had all dispersed? The floats were all gone as well. 

I felt a little lonely as I walked. It's not just the lonliness when your alone, I mean, I feel the lonliness of actually wanting to see Riley. Perhaps I have worried him? Maybe he could care less that I was gone and wanted to go flirt with those girls from earlier. Yet every other time I was missing he seemed concerned. 

I shook my head trying to ignore my own thoughts. The sun was setting behind the towering buildings of New York. The glass windows were all glowing and the sky was illuminated with brilliant shades of purple, red, gold, and orange. I sat there a moment, admiring the sky, when something dawned on me. 

It was getting dark out, and I was all alone. 

Riley had told me bad people come out at night. With that last frightning thought, I began sprinting. Street lights began to come on and lights in different windows of different buildings began to flicker on. Signs on stores began to glow with advertising and intimidating colors. 

My fast pace came to a slow one when I saw the red glowing words of Ron's pawn shop. As much as I wanted to sigh in relief I couldn't when I saw the words 'closed' on the doors. The lights were out, and although the sign was illuminated, everything inside was pitch black. 

I wanted to scream in frustration, knowing it was night time and I was out all alone. Although my parents didn't allow me to watch the news, I always sneakily listened from behind the corner. Besides the borring or interesting stories, there were always the terrifiying ones. Stories of little girls and boys getting kidnapped nad never seen from again, normally turning up dead. The scariest ones of the stories of girls my age and older getting kidnapped and killed, never to be heard from again. 

My breathing quickened to that of panic. Maybe if I sat here Riley would notice I wasn't at home and come to the Pawn Shop. Then again maybe he knew Ron was gone and went to look somewhere else. Maybe Riley was angry at me, and just didn't care. Hot tears began streaming down my face. I slid my back down the cool glass doors of the shop and sat on the ground. I was all alone but felt cornered, literally.