Truth or Dare

It takes a few hours for Val and I to convince our guardians to let us go to the party. Aunt Beth and Val's mum spent another half an hour discussing about whether to let us go or not. Regardless, Val and I stood by our decision to go. Speaking to Eli made me realise that not ever supernatural out there are bad, but I am not going to take the risk to expose my true nature. 

Apparently, so is Valerie. She may be human, but she fears that once people know her connection to the Minatours, they'll be wondering about her abilities. 

Dad told me once that the general public doesn't know exactly where the Minatours are because they know if they find out where the Minatours are, they'll know where the Peacekeeper is too. 

Now that will end the world. 

"Okay," Aunt Beth finally says after she put down the phone. "You can go to the party."

I smile widely and did a small dance out of victory. 

"But," she continues, narrowing her eyes at me. "I'm sending you and Val to the place and pick you two up in the morning. Remember the rules; do not leave their territory alone, call me if ANYTHING happens, protect your identity, try to stay near any plants."

I furrow my eyebrows in confusion. "Plants?"

Aunt Beth grins. "So I can spy on you."

I give her a look of disbelief. I'm thinking of all the embarrassing things I could have done in the presence of plants. "You've gotta be kidding me! You didn't tell me you can do that!"

"Yeah, I was kidding."

Goddammit, Aunt Beth. Freaking gave me a heart attack for a moment there. 

Once an agreement is settled, I sent a text to dad with the party details since he is at work. As usual, he sent me a long text about what to expect and to be careful of people and blablabla. The usual warnings that I've been hearing ever since I was 5. 

The next few hours passed by slower than I wanted it to be. Maybe it's because I'm excited to attend my first ever legit party that is hosted by friends. I can tell that Val is also excited since she's been texting me non-stop ever since her mother and Aunt Beth reached to an agreement.

"Here's the place, kids," Aunt Beth says when our car stops in front of a sophisticated house in the middle of the woods. We reach a little earlier than intended.

This is definitely where a typical werewolf would live. 

"Remember, be careful about what you drink and keep each other safe, okay?"

"Yes, Aunt Beth," Val and I say obediently. The both of us climb out of the car and wave Aunt Beth goodbye as she drives away. The moment the car zooms away, Elise opens her front door. 

"Welcome to our home, ladies," Eli says loudly with a huge grin as he steps in front of his vampire sister. "Come on in. Fancy tea? Coffee?"

"Water, please," Val and I responds simultaneously. We then turn to look at each other and then laugh out loud. 

"One would think that you two are twins rather than Eli and I," Elise muses with a smile. 

I roll my eyes at Elise. However, Val accepts the compliment. "I'd rather be related to Mel than my own brother."

"You have a brother?" Elise asks in bewilderment. I am starting to wonder how much has Val tell them about herself. Guessing from their reaction, not much. 

Val looks uncomfortable with the innocent question. "Yeah..."

"Where are the others?" I ask, peeking the house. 

"No one's here yet. You guys are the first to arrive," the werewolf brother informs, letting Val and I enter the house. 

"You must be Valerie and Melinda!" a young blonde woman in her late teens say, appearing next to me. I jump in surprise whereas Val let out a small shriek. 

This woman is not human. 

I'm very certain of it. 

No human has red eyes.

"Hi," I say cautiously, wondering if I've seen her around in school. She's definitely not part of the vampire bully gang that is led by Becca. 

"Mum..." Eli groans in embarrassment. 

"Sorry, honey. We don't receive a lot of guests, so I'm too excited," the woman says, smiling at Val and I.

Valerie and I stare at the young vampire in bewilderment, weirded out by the fact that Eli and Elise's mother looks around the same age as her children. I wonder how old is she. Her actual change, not the age she appeared to be. 

The twin's mother smiles sadly when she sees the expression on Val's and my face. 

"I'm Valerie," my friend introduces herself, trying to reduce the awkwardness. 

"Oh! Elise talks a lot about you!"

"Really?"

"Mum!" Elise whines, looking embarrassed even though she is not capable of blushing. Lucky vampire genes. 

I give Val a look, but Val's cheeks are red. Now to think of it, I wonder if there is some sort of attraction she feels towards the vampire girl. 

"Why don't y'all kids hang in tight in the living room while I get the drinks? I think I hear a car pulling up in front," the twin's vampire mother says, waving towards the small cosy living area. Elise keeps us entertained while her twin brother invites the other guests in. I recognise Val's human friends, but don't remember any of their names. 

I am too shy to ask for their names anyway.

Once everyone is here, we start to play truth or dare since everyone wants to get to know Val and I. The game makes Val and I skeptical since we both know we can't tell the exact truth. 

Thankfully, everyone picks the right questions to ask and avoid personal questions. 

"Truth," I say when the bottle lands on me.

Until Elise breaks the silent rule.

"How come you two attend school until this year?" Elise asks, snuggling into her pillow. 

"Yeah, it's a small town and everyone knows each other since kindergarten," the Asian girl points out. 

I shrug. "I was home-schooled and had all I need. I decided to join school just for the experience."

"Oh cool. So what do you learn when you were home-schooled?" Eli asks curiously. 

"Some AP Calculus, Mandarin, the three sciences, and a few more subjects I don't remember," I answer shyly, earning shocked glances from everyone except Valerie. 

"We have a genius amongst us," a Caucasian guy proclaims proudly. 

I toss the bottle to find the bottle land on Elise. 

"Truth or dare?" I ask her. 

She thinks about it for a moment before replying, "Dare."

A few are starting to discuss what to ask, but Eli has an evil glint in his eyes. It is almost as if he know something.

"I dare you to kiss Val."

Without a second moment, the vampire turns to my friend. Val doesn't seem to process anything until Elise lands a peck on her lips. 

I gasp out loud, surprised that Elise might actually be attracted to my best friend. 

Val doesn't waste any time and pull the vampire to her once again, kissing her in full force. 

Was I missing something here???