Chapter Twenty-Five

Chapter Twenty-Five

"And it ended? Just like that?" Harry's eyebrows furrowed a bit in confusion. I had just finished relaying the story to Harry about how Niall sang me his song, or part of it at least.

"Just like that. I mean, I know there's more to the song but I just don't know why he won't tell me and it's so stupid. I'll figure it out somehow, just when is going to be the hard part. He hasn't spoken to me since, either. Anyways, thank you so much for taking Hugo out for me. I was completely sidetracked today and this whole stupid dinner wrecked the chance for his much needed exercise. He's been cooped up here for too long, isn't that right, boy?" I scratched behind his ears while his tail thumped against the floor.

I turned away from the door and started looking through the mess that was my living room for his leash and collar.

Tonight was the big double date dinner between Zayn and I, and Liam and Danielle. It was to be held at an extremely public restaurant set up with tons of paparazzi just waiting to catch the next opportune moment to capture an image of the four of us. I was in no mood to be going, what with my more than confusing conversation with Niall that I had three days prior still on my mind.

My cellphone started to ring and I held up a finger to Harry to signal that I just needed a minute to talk to Zayn.

"Hey, where are you? I've been waiting here for the past -"

"Change of plans," he rushed out, effectively cutting me off, "We're not going."

"Not going? What do you mean we're not going?"

"Some stuff happened and I think it'd be awkward if only three of us went out, you know?"

"Three of us? What happened to Liam and Danielle?" I knew it had to be on their end because management would've murdered Zayn before he canceled this date.

"What? No, everything's fine. Sort of. Liam and Danielle had a bit of a fight."

"Don't you dare do what I think you're going to do."

" . . . I'm not going to do anything."

I glanced cautiously at Harry who was staring intently at me with confusion written all across his face. I had to be careful with what I said to not give anything away about Zayn, no matter how hard I just wanted to yell through the phone.

"He's in a fragile state and -"

"Relax, I know. I just want to be there for him. As a friend. Look I need to get going, he said he was on his way over fifteen minutes ago."

"Fine, but I'll be by later, okay?"

"Okay, okay."

"And, Zayn?"

"What?"

"Be careful," I whispered before hanging up.

"Good news, Harry. My date was cancelled so you won't have to worry about Hugo. I can just take him out."

"Right," he tossed the leash back over towards me and quietly mumbled what was probably supposed to only be meant for him, "Because I'd never be needed anyways . . ."

I felt bad for the look Harry was now sporting. ". . . Harry, do . . . do you want to come with me?"

He looked up from the ground, his eyes startled. "Are you sure?"

"Yeah. Besides it's getting dark outside and we're probably safer in numbers, anyways."

With a hop, skip, and jump down the stairs, we emerged into the busy city night life and walked in the direction towards the park. We kept our pace slow and in sync with each other, no conversation passing between us, the silence filled by the noisy traffic from a few streets over and music floating out of different restaurants and city cafés.