Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven: 

It was Wednesday. The Wednesday. The Wednesday me and Louis were supposed to have dinner, and I was working overtime. By the end of Friday, we were to release our annual double issue and it was taking a toll on all of us. Almost everyone was going in early and leaving late just to finish on time, and that’s what I had tried to explain to a certain somebody a couple of weeks prior.

I was pretty pissed at Louis, to be honest. I understand that he’s busy and has lots on his mind but he was the one that wanted to maintain this friendship. For the two months we had been friends again, I felt like I was putting in a lot more effort than he was. The worst part was that I still liked him, even after he’d been practically ignoring me. I was still mad at him, but not enough to hate him.

“Hey, Cassidy, did you finish your half of that column on the American stock exchange?” asked one of my colleagues.

"Yeah, I did. Sorry I didn’t send it to you sooner.” I quickly sent out an email with the file attached. “Okay, Charlie, I sent it. Also, Mr. Harman told me to remind you to include the interview from one of the CEO’s involved with the New York Stock Exchange. He said it added more appeal, or something like that, so don’t forget!”

He chuckled while walking back to his desk. “I think you’re forgetting that you’re the one who forgets things.”

At this magazine, I wasn’t an independent journalist, meaning I only shared columns with others in my department. My boss thought I was little young to be working on my own, which I can see where he’s coming from considering I am only nineteen. Not exactly an experienced age. When I first came here, I was an assistant to some hot-shot, similar to my job at the X-Factor, and only recently did he decide I could try writing in the shared articles. I had written the most with Charlie, who really liked my writing style, and was about the only friend I had in London beside the boys.

“Hey, Charlie, I’m going to head home now, but if anything pops up, just call me.”

“See you tomorrow, Cassidy.”

I hurried down the elevator and hopped on the bus back to my building. It was quarter after nine and I was supposed to meet Louis at my place, despite the fact I very well told him we wouldn’t be able to go out until later.

“Hey,” I rushed to the front steps where Louis was waiting. “You ready to go?”

He stood up and looked kind of pissed off. “What the hell, Cassidy? We were supposed to meet here after your work and you don’t show up until 9:30?”

He started walking towards his car, causing me to have to pick up my pace to keep up with his strides. “I told you I wasn’t going to get off until late.”

“No, you didn’t.”

“Yes, I did.”

“No, you didn’t!”

“Goddammit, Louis I did! We were standing in the kitchen at your place two weeks ago and I told you that that Sunday would be better for me because I was working late every single day last week and this week. Then, without glancing up from your phone, you said, ‘the week after next sounds good. I’ll pick you up on Wednesday’ and walked out of the room, still looking at your phone, when I tried to tell you different.”

“Well did you ever think of ringing me?”

“I did, Louis! I called you every day last week and I even called your home number. You never picked up and it always went straight to your voicemail. I thought that maybe your phone was just dead but I know for a fact that you’re glued to that thing.”