Chapter Thirteen

I'm surprised I got 37 reads on this bad boy...most of them are from me but whatever haha 

Chapter Thirteen 

 "I can't keep pretending everything's fine when it isn't. When you come home to find your girlfriend bawling outside your front door, you comfort her, you don't say, 'This isn't really the best time for this'. You are supposed to be there for me." I had long since stopped crying. My voice was slightly shaky but I tried my hardest to keep it steady and firm. 

"I hate to break it to you, Cass, but I have shit going on in my life too, so excuse me if I don't show up to every whiny beck and call you give. And besides, you have that deranged weirdo that you always hang out with. Just go to him!" 

In that moment I had never met a bigger asshole than Coleman. "His name is Louis and he happens to be my best friend! But you're my boyfriend. Wouldn't you have wanted me to go to you first!?"

"God, Cassidy!" He groaned and slammed his fist against the wall. 

"Well I'm sorry I'm such an inconvenience in your life. If you didn't want me here than you should've just said something sooner! It would've saved both of us the trouble!" 

He deeply sighed and calmed his voice.

"I want you in my life Cass, why can't you see that? I –"

"Cole?" His face instantly paled and his eyes grew wide. This voice wasn't mine and it certainly wasn't his. "Baby, what's going on?" 

I raised my eyebrows in disbelief. There was a tall brunette walking up the last few steps to Coleman's floor. She was wearing extremely high heels with a short black dress. 

When neither of us answered she spoke again walking straight towards him. “Is everything okay? Listen, my parents are already at the restaurant and we better get going if we want to make it there before your parents show up. The planner couldn't make it tonight so it's just going to be us six.” She turned to face me, probably remembering that there was a third person in the room, and cocked her to the side as if trying to place me, giving up when she slightly shook her head. "Who are you?"

Her tone wasn't accusing, just curious. The complete opposite of mine. 

I pursed my lips, "Cassidy. And you are?"

“Ashlyn, the fiancée.”

How ironic.

She gave me a smile that I would've found sweet in any other situation but this one. Right now it was just making me want to punch her. Turning back to Coleman, she grabbed his hand. “It's pouring outside so we really should be going.”

That's when I saw the most expensive diamond I had ever seen sitting on her ring finger. I shook my head and scoffed in disbelief, which quickly turned into a humorless laugh. I started backing towards the stairs while shaking my head back and forth, still laughing, probably looking like a sociopath, while Coleman turned beat red. 

"Isn’t that rich,” I mumbled to myself, “Well, Coleman, it seems you've already got plans. I wouldn't want to be a disruption." I narrowed my eyes and gave him the fakest smile I could muster. 

"Cassidy, wait –"

"Sorry, Coleman, but now just really isn't the best time." With that, I ran down the stairs as fast as I could with his voice echoing through the stairwell, calling out my name. But I just kept running because I didn't care.

I didn't care. 

All I did was run. I ran through the streets with my lungs burning after each step I took. Maybe I was crying, maybe I wasn't, but the rain pouring down my face was a good enough substitute for me.