Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen 

“Carmen Harper’s office; Cassidy speaking. How can I help you?”

"Christ, Liam we got it! God, Cass, you do not understand how many numbers we had to call before we got to you. Why weren’t you answering your cell phone?”

“Harry? How did you get this number?”

“It was bloody hard, that’s for sure, but finally after the wonderful method of deduction, we–”

“Why are you calling?”

“Because we didn’t know how else to get a hold of you?”

“I’m working and this isn’t my phone to use for personal phone calls so I’m going to hang up and–”

“Wait! I’m calling to let you know Liam and I are waiting outside to take you to lunch.”

“Thanks, that’s sweet of you, really, but . . . I already told him no.”

“That’s why I’m here. Liam doesn’t have the balls to keep harassing you but I’ll go to desperate measures to get you to come along. Now, if you could kindly come outside, you would be a big help to speeding up this process.”

“Sorry, but I have a ton of work to do here. And I need to hang up before my boss fires me.”

I hung up and quickly glanced around hoping no one had overheard the conversation. Continuing to type on my computer, I made sure to keep my mind clear and focused. Carmen Harper was our new boss after Mr. Harman had been transferred, and she had a slightly different way of running things around here. She tolerated a lot less, that was for sure.  

“I told you we were going to take desperate measures.”

I looked up to face a pissed off Harry striding towards me, a slightly amused Liam standing behind him. “Sorry, Cass, I tried all I could but the boy just won’t accept no for an answer. Except this time I think I agree with him.”

“Why, thank you, Liam. Glad to see you’re seeing things my way,” the curly haired boy smirked.

“Look. Harry, Liam,” I made short eye contact with each boy, “I can’t exactly leave right now. I’m in the middle of work for God’s sake and I took my lunch break almost over an hour ago.”

"I don’t care what your break schedule is; I have direct orders to drive you and Liam to lunch and goddammit I’m going to do it. I do not need Louis, or Zayn for that matter, pestering my ass for the rest of the night. Now let’s go.”

And so I grabbed my bag and we left. Except it wasn’t as simple as that. It took almost an hour of trying to convince Carmen to let me go, she’s what some people might call a hard-ass, and when that didn’t work, Harry charmed his way through. Not that she needed much charming from somebody like him. After he promised to call her, which I almost gagged at by the way – she’s practically fifteen years older than he is– she let me have the rest of the day off.

“So, why exactly did Harry have to chauffeur us to this event?”

“Don’t ask me, ask the masterminds behind this whole evil plan.”

I looked up from my menu. “What are you talking about?”

“I’m saying, welcome to Cassidy’s Birthday Extravaganza.”

“My birthday isn’t for another week.”

“I know. But we’ll be gone by then.”

It was only then that I remembered that the boys were taking off once again and I wouldn’t see them for months. But then my mind fluttered back to the other issue at hand.