Like Joseph

Michael had to carry me back to the house. I was too tired and too upset to do anything other than cry. Everyone was gathered in the living room but didn't say anything as he took me upstairs. I got changed and crawled into bed, ignoring the fact that I was going to sleep with wet hair.

"Go to sleep," Michael said, brushing hair off my face. "I'll be here when you wake up."

I took his hand and tucked it under my face.

"Can you keep them away?" I looked up at him. "Please?"

"He said to stop controlling your dreams..."

"Raphael doesn't run my life. At least not yet. Please, Michael."

He took his hand away and stood up. He pulled off his soaked shirt and took off his boots and socks.

"Close your eyes," he whispered.

I did as he asked and heard him unzip his jeans. I counted as I heard him unstrap his knives. I'd joked with him once about how he could wear underwear when he strapped knives to his legs. He told me, with a straight face, that he didn't wear underwear. I thought he was kidding but when I didn't hear anymore clothing come off before he crawled into bed next to me, I suspected he'd been telling me the truth.

He was naked.

In my bed.

And I was too tired to do anything.

My luck sucked.

He pulled me back against him, wrapping his arms around me. He fit perfectly around me which was interesting considering he was over six foot and I was only five-five.

He nuzzled his face next to my ear and I sighed.

"Go to sleep, Αγάπη."

I kept my eyes closed and took a deep breath. He started humming close to my ear, the sound vibrating against my back. He always hummed the same song, our song.

That's how I feel asleep. Into a bright, dreamless sleep.

"She asleep?" Luke asked, looking up.

"Yeah," Michael said, tapping the counter with his hands. "I'm keeping the dreams out."

"Defying the Angel. Isn't that a bad idea?"

"Right now I don't care what he wants. She needs sleep and if that means keeping her from dreaming about dying over and over, I'm going to do it."

Luke looked grim but nodded. Michael glanced at Patricia who was sitting at the kitchen table. Sebastis sat there with Freddie, both of them talking quietly. Michael headed in their direction and Sebastis looked up.

"Told you it was a bad idea. She doesn't like being cornered."

Patricia nodded. "I think we approached it the wrong way. She's scared, angry, bitter. It's going to eat her from the inside out if she doesn't talk."

"I think for now we should put it off," Michael said. "It's not going to work if we force her into it. I should've known that from..."

"You can't coddle her, Michael," Patricia said. "She needs to face it."

"I think Michael's right," Luke said. "I know her, probably better than anyone. She'll talk when she's ready. She'll spill to one of us eventually..."

"It's my fault," Sebastis said suddenly.

Michael frowned. "What do you mean?"