The Ocean

After the plane landed, Michael covered my eyes with a blindfold.

“You know this is ill advised,” I said.

“I assume you are referring to the last time you were blindfolded.” I nodded. “You’re not afraid of being blindfolded. You’re afraid of forced darkness. You could’ve been afraid of not being able to see but your brain never processed that as a fear.”

“Thank you, Doctor Freud.”

I could just imagine him grinning. I felt his breath as he leaned close to whisper in my ear.

“Sigmund Freud was a neurologist that specialized in psychoanalysis. I don’t think he ever did much work in the development of fears. But good try.”

He kissed me softly and when he pulled away I made a whinny noise.

“Where are you going?”

He chuckled. “If you ever want to get off this plane and onto the beach, I shouldn’t do much of that.”

I sighed. “Fine. But you owe me.”

“We’ll have plenty of time for kissing later. Right now we need to get off the plane.”

“If you’re leading me, who’s grabbing the luggage?”

“I know what I’m doing. You’re going to have to trust me.”

“Just don’t break me. That would suck. I didn’t come to the beach to break a bone or twist an ankle. I can do that just fine at home.”

“Just stay right here. I’ll be right back.”

I felt a breeze and then he was gone. But then in seconds he was back.

“That was fast.”

“Had to take care of the luggage.”

I laughed. “Ok. How are we doing this?”

“Since carrying you is out of the question…” He moved behind me and rested his hands on my hips. “Move forward.”

I stood there for a moment, feeling the heaviness of his hands. I was getting that deep down tickle and my mind started racing off with inappropriate thoughts.

He gripped my hips, probably getting every thought in high def. I cleared my throat, trying to get my thoughts back on track. I started forward slowly, my mind instantly locking in on my unknown path.

“Stop.”

I stopped. He’d stayed behind me the whole way but moved in front of me now, taking my hand.

“Turn to your right and take three steps forward.”

I did as he asked and then stopped again. “Stairs right?”

He chuckled. “There are two ways to go about it and I don’t think you’re going to like either.”

“You are not carrying me.”

“Then you’re going to have to trust me.”

“I already told you…”

“I know but this time you’re going to have to trust me completely because if you don’t listen to me you are going to fall.”

“Why can’t I just take this off?” I pointed to the blindfold. “I’m pretty sure were not around water…”

“Do this my way. Please.”

I sighed. “Alright. I should just let you carry me but my dignity won’t let me.”

He didn’t say anything, just tugged on my hand. We walked forward at a normal pace until he stopped me at what I assumed were the top of the stairs. It was slow going for most of the descent but at the last step I hopped down on the tar mat.