Chapter 13- Heart Broken

Sorry for the late post! I had some problems with my right eye (which hurt like hell!) and I stayed away from electronics for a while.

Anyway...

More than a thousand reads in 38 days!!! I'm over the moon!!! Thanks for all your support guys!!

I hope you like this chapter and I tried my best to put a lot of feeling into it.

Enjoy!

And keep me posted with your thoughts.

---------------------- -,- -------------------------

                                                     Chapter 13- Heart Broken

                                                                    Clea

Drip… Drip... Drip….

The water that soaked me continued to drip with continuous frequency, until it slowly reduced to a silent pop. I couldn't hear the sound of the water rolling off my body going down and settling into the terrain, but I imagined it like I was in a silent room, the tap not closed properly.

The silent slow-Drip. Drip. Drip.

Ending like a pop.

But what I didn't have to imagine was the painful beating of my heart, that hurt my ears and chest.

Da-dum… Da-dum… Da-dum…

How could it beat?  I wondered. If it was broken. How does a broken heart continue to beat.  Maybe it continued to beat to cause me more pain. A painful pull each time I moved until I was almost gasping for breath. It was resisting the fact that I was still alive. I clutched at my chest, like I was trying to wrench my heart from my body. Why did I hurt so much? Is this what love was? Then why did love have to hurt? Or was it just pain from being rejected. Countless times I had questioned my feelings for Nathaniel and yet, I still asked myself, feeling like this was the first. Did I love him? What were my feelings towards him? And like the times before, I did not get an answer.

Suddenly I was surrounded by warmth. I looked up dully but my vision was blocked by soft cloth. Something was wrapped around me, so hard it was close to strangling me. But strangely enough, I welcomed it. I lifted my arms, which were lifelessly swaying by my sides, and clutched on to the warmth. It was hard, at the same time soft.

“It's okay. You're okay.” A deep voice whispered into my hair. I relaxed. I knew this voice. Adrian. He had his arms around my body and my forehead was against his chest. Tears started to fill my eyes and I sobbed silently. He pulled me closer, until I almost disappeared into his mass. Adrian cloaked me like a warm blanket. I cried, remembering the darkness of the lake, the sharp, piercing cold of the water. My leg throbbed from a pain I was too numb to feel till now. I distinctly remembered getting it stuck under the paddle while I fell.  A painful truth hit me. I could have drowned and no one had come to rescue me. Why? Why was it that Nathaniel was willing to risk my life to save hers. Maybe he didn't love me. Everything until now.... was a lie.

“Hush... I've got you.” Adrian whispered. He pulled me away from him and bent down and whipped away my tears. He smiled, his eyes closed and his lips wide. I smiled back. Adrian took off his jacket and wrapped it around me, buttoning it up like I was a little girl. It felt special. He was taking care of me. I was going to be okay. I could still smile.

Adrian took hold of my hand and smiled again. I looked into his dark green eyes, surrendering to them. I had lost all my strength, I had none left to pull away, maybe I didn't want to. So I let him take care of me. All my feminism of having my own rights and being able to take care of myself were gone. Whatever a girl might say, she still needs a man to look after her in the end.