Chapter 12- SPLASH!

Just watched Coraline yesterday. Man that movie is ca-re-pee!! But still totally awesome!

Busy reading To Kill A Mocking Bird (can not believe I haven't read that till now!) and wow, that book started a sobbing fit with me. If you haven't read it yet.... YA SHOULD!

Okay now back to this chapter. :)
Something awesome is going to happen in this chap which will change your direction of thinking. (For all you Nathaniel lovers and Adrian haters. XP) 

Hint: I might have said I would do this in one of my earlier chapters. 

ENJOY!!!!!

----------------------- -,- --------------------------------

                                                       Chapter 12- SPLASH!

                                                                        Clea

I was nervously looking around for Nathaniel. He should have been here by now - what's taking him so long. I was waiting by the lake for him, we were having Canoeing practice right now, and our event was supposed to be held in a few days.

 I was really worried, I still don't know anything about Canoeing, hell, I didn't know what the stick-thingy that was used to steer the canoe was called. (Like you guessed, I was too busy observing Nathaniel to really concentrate on anything.) And not to forget the fact that the coach had put up the kids in different teams and I was paired with NATHANIEL! (Hmmm.. who would have ever thought fate would work that way?)

 I didn't know if it was a blessing or a curse, sure we would get close, but I tend to get a wee-bit nervous around him. The usual symptoms- sweaty palms, blushing, nervous giggling and making a fool out of myself. The worst happened, when I tried to act cool and macho and mostly ended up slipping or doing something kiddish and have him laugh at me. I sighed; yup it was tough being a teenager.

“Hey Clea.” Nathaniel grinned at me, coming and standing by my side. I turned and smiled back, but frowned slightly. Something was different about him, he had a determined look about him and he looked around, scowling slightly.

“Hey Nathaniel.” I hesitated a bit, but my inner voice came back urging me on. Come on; say what you promised yourself last night to tell him. “Um, Nath...”

He looked at me, his head cocked to the side with a puzzled expression. “Ya?”

“About last night...” I started.

Nathaniel's whole body stiffened and his features grew hard.

“What about it?”

“I...I think you should apologize to Jessica.” I sounded scared and I tried to toughen it up, “You really can't treat anyone like that.”

Nathaniel just stared at me; his features looked like they were set in stone. Suddenly he sighed, his whole composure breaking down. He ran his long fingers through his light curly brown hair and looked away from me, “I will, Clea.” He told me softly, his voice breaking a bit.

Wow. I didn't expect him to agree to it. I was totally prepared for a fight. (I had my boxing gloves ready in my bag. Figuratively of course.) Well, that whole night of planning out my moves was in the gutters.

I took a good look at him while he was wallowed in silent thoughts. Nathaniel's eyes were shadowed by dark circles, his arms and legs had multiple cuts and starches. Only a few of them were really healing, I noticed his knuckles were raw and red. He really did feel bad about last night. That actually lifted my spirits.

“Guess what! We're in the same team!!” I told him cheerfully.

He looked at me wearily and smiled, “Was that supposed to cheer me up? I've seen you Canoeing in the last few classes and frankly... I'm too young to die!” Nathaniel teased me.

I scowled at him. “I'm not that bad.” Actually I really was.

“Says the girl who lost two paddles and knocked out the instructor with one of them.” He laughed at me.

Hey it wasn't my fault that the instructor called me when I was holding the paddle (ah! that's what they're called) and I turned, knocking him out. (Actually I hit his family jewels and I think he whimpered “Mummy” before going down.)

“It was an accident.” I mumbled. Nathaniel chuckled.

“Oh look! It's the Breakaway losers.” The Camp Breakfree kids who came by our table the other night sneered at us.

“Oh look, it's fart boy!” I yelled with a confidence that shocked me, “You really need to cut down on the beans, dude.”

The guy glared at me and then suddenly looked around for Dell worriedly. Seeing that he wasn't there, he smirked at us.

“Laugh all you want Breakaway. You won't be laughing so much when you lose!” They burst out laughing. I felt Nathaniel move, and turned to see him slightly smile.

“Yo!” Nathaniel called out to the boy.