24

Joseph watched her face as she watched their son walk into the school building

Joseph watched her face as she watched their son walk into the school building. He had insisted on going in on his own. While he understood a boy needed to feel independent. He could see that Miranda was struggling with the thought of their son growing up so fast.

"He'll be alright," Joseph said quietly brushing her hand.

She took a deep breath and gave him a small smile.

"I'm being ridiculous I know. He just growing up so fast."

When her breath caught he couldn't help it, he pulled her into a hug and was surprised she came not just willingly but clung to him.

After the last night he kissed her in his apartment she had been closed off and distant. He had given her space not wanting to push her too much and end up kissing her all over again.

"Joseph Walter. Aren't you just a sight for sore eyes?"

He went still and actually clung to Miranda a little bit tighter.

"Oh God no, please no," he grumbled

He wanted to argue when Miranda untangled herself from him and looked up at him. He was pretty sure his face mirrored the horror he was feeling.

He turned with a forced smile on his face all the while keeping a firm hold around Miranda's waist.

"Donna." he greeted the woman who was currently eyeing his hand that held Miranda plastered to his side.

"I didn't know you were back in town, I thought you would have called, you said you would," she said with her come-hitter smile.

"Yes, we just got in yesterday, had a lot to do," he replied

He watched her eyes narrow and look toward Miranda who was currently eyeing him with a curious expression that had his cheeks reddening. He sent her a nervous smile and squeezed her side.

"I'm Donna, who might you be?"

"She's my... "

"I'm Miranda Tate."

Joseph wanted to kiss the smug expression off Miranda's face as she glanced back at him.

"You look familiar, do I know you?" the other way asked still eyeing the hands with clenched cheeks.

"I grew up here so..."

"Oh yeah, now I remember you, buck-eyed Rambo." Donna interrupted with a high-pitched laugh that grated on his ears.

"Donna," he said in a warning tone when he felt Miranda go tense next to him.

"What? It's what everyone use to call her. If I remember correctly it was you boys from the football team that came up with the name." she said still laughing.

When Miranda threw him an accusing gaze he gritted his teeth. He felt like he had stepped right back into high school with the cheerleader being the mean girl picking on the school nerd.