10

"Walk us through your employee directory, start with the employees with the least amount of responsibilities, then move to those with the most

"Walk us through your employee directory, start with the employees with the least amount of responsibilities, then move to those with the most. You can end with the middle man." Nathan said to Joseph

"Should I get my secretary back in here because this might take all day and we could probably use her help?" Joseph replied.

"No." Miranda's single-word response had both men turning to her with raised eyebrows.

"Why not? " Joseph asked her raising an eyebrow at her sudden outburst.

She couldn't exactly blame him, she had been sitting quietly, wound up as tight as pressured bed Springs ready to pop. Either way, I avoided his face when I explained.

"She's an employee, that makes her a suspect. The less anyone beside you of course knows about this case the better," she said

They nodded their agreement with her explanation before Joseph delved into the task of each person he employed.

His voice was deep, whenever he spoke, both Miranda and Nathan were tuned in as they listen. He had that rich, silky tone. He speaks as if he controls the world, his experience and maturity seeping through. He would remind you of a stormy day. A nice one.

Miranda shook the thoughts away and tried to focus. She was a bag of nerves as she sat during the meeting. Nathan was doing a good job so far while she sat there quietly like she only served as moral support.

Really she was coiled so tightly with nerves that she was afraid to open her mouth and make an ass of herself.

After the first couple of glances and raised eyebrows, Her partner had given up on getting her to talk. She knew she wasn't going to hear the end of this when they got back to the firm.

She sensed movement outside the office and glanced up to see Jason passing by what seemed like one hundred times. He sent her a look before strolling by down the hall.

Her cheeks clenched in aggravation. He was purposely riling her up. It wasn't going to work, there was no way she was about to allow him to throw her off her game. She had a job to do and she would make sure it gets done.

"Interviewing employees might help us at this point. This room will do. A video recorder is all we need to get started really. At this point we just need to narrow the list down. " she injected causing everyone to turn to look at her once again after being so quiet.

"Very well then Ms. Tait. We were beginning to wonder if you had somehow managed to lose the ability to speak. " Joseph taunted her. His face remained straight but his eyes danced with amusement.

She resisted the urge to snap at him with some sort of feisty comeback.

Be professional. She reminded herself.

Ignoring his jab she continued.

"We could begin first thing tomorrow if that is alright with you of course," she said finally allowing herself to turn fully in her chair to focus on their client.

"We can begin now actually. I have no more clients for the day since of course I just won the next case. If you have to go I can begin. I'm guessing you can stay though since this is your only assignment?" said Nathan

What the hell is it with all these men challenging me?

She clenched her teeth to hold back the string of swear words that were flowing through her head. All she wanted to do is get up and leave.

"Very well then carry on. I just have to make a quick phone call since school will be out-"

She paused immediately as she caught on to her little slip-up. She really needs to get herself under control. All these slips aren't who she is, she's one of the best lawyers from her previous firm and she wanted the same to be said for her here. So far she was off to a bad start.

Both men sent her curious looks, one more curious than the other. She saw him open his mouth to ask her a question and took that as her chance to quickly slip out of the room.

As she stepped out and closes the door behind her she bumped right into Jason who had obviously been lingering.

"So? " he asked her

She had never seen Jason this serious before. His reaction was expected though, the Walter siblings had always been fiercely protective of each other. As an only child, she had always envied their bond.

"So what? " she replied

She watched his eyes narrow while looking at her.

"So this is how you plan to play it? " he questioned while nodding his head.

"I'm not playing, I'm simply trying to make a phone call to make sure my child gets picked up from school." she wasn't sure why she was standing here explaining anything to him. They had both been awful to her in the past.

"How is my nephew doing today?" he asked a little louder than necessary, drawing curious glances from not just some workers around but from the two men inside the room.

She looked away from Joseph's gaze to look back at Jason.

"What do you want from me, haven't you and your brother ruined me enough? " she asked through clenched teeth.

"Sweetheart all I did was take you to a school dance and I don't hear you crying rape so that means you popped that cherry willingly for Jo. I know my brother but you're acting like the victim. Are you saying he took you by force?" Jason inquired.

"Of course not don't be stupid." she snapped, Her face heated up.

"You have until the end of the week to tell him about his child Miranda, or I will." Jason clipped out.

"Don't threaten me," she said

He took a step towards her causing her to take an involuntary step back. She bumped into the glass once again drawing the men's attention.

"It wasn't a threat, it's a promise. I always keep my promises, Miranda, ask any woman that's been promised a night of pleasure in my bed, they never leave unsatisfied," he smirked at her.

"Pig!" she threw at him.

"I prefer to be called a stallion because women love to ride this horse," he told her with a wink.

She pushed off the wall and started towards the restroom. As she turned a middle-aged man brushed by her and opened the door to the conference meeting room.

"Say hello to him for me Miranda." Jason threw over his shoulder as he walked away.

Miranda could feel Joseph's gaze boring into her. She turned on her heels and headed for the safety of the women's restroom.