6

Miranda brushed her hands across her skirt for the hundredth time, trying to get rid of nonexistent wrinkles

Miranda brushed her hands across her skirt for the hundredth time, trying to get rid of nonexistent wrinkles. She was a little nervous as she sat waiting for her new boss to find the folder with her first assignment on the job.

"This is our busiest time of year so you'll just be thrown into the work." the grayed hair man explained had he shifted through his file cabinet. "Whether you can keep up is left to be proven with time but you do come highly recommended otherwise you wouldn't be here."

"Yes of course. " Miranda replied confidently.

"Now where's that bloody file."

Miranda smiled at his swearing. She knew she had detected a faint English accent in his tone.

"George, do you need anything before I head over for this meeting? "

She turned towards the door where a blonde hair man sent her a smirk. She resisted the urge to roll her eyes.

Right away she could tell this guy is one of those types of entitled jerks that she sometimes dealt with as clients.

"No nothing Nathan, take Zack with you," George told him as he looked up from the cabinet and scratched his head in confusion.

"Zack called in sick," Nathan told him as he leaned further in the room to get a better look at Miranda.

George grumbled some obscenities before his gaze fell on her.

"Take her. "

Miranda froze and her brows wrinkled in slight annoyance. Her plan was to stay away from blondie and here she was getting partnered up with him.

Hopefully, this was a simple case so she wouldn't have to be around him more than necessary.

"Her?"

She could feel her blood boil at his incredulous tone.

"You got a problem with that?" she asked coolly as she vacated the chair to stand at his level. There was no way she was going to stay sitting and have him look down on her in more ways than one.

"As a matter of fact yeah. I'd rather work with someone I'm used to. Someone I know for a fact knows what they're doing. "

Miranda reached for her briefcase and walked confidently toward him and snatched the file from his hands. She smirked at the surprise on his face.

"Lucky I don't take orders from you then huh blondie? I'm taking the case," she said looking into his eyes unblinkingly. "You can be a nice boy and be a team player or I'm sure our boss here can find you something that won't cause you too much stress and have you mess up your overly styled bottle-blond hair. "

She smiled sweetly at him then threw a wink over her shoulder at George who was trying to cover his laughter with some coughs.

She squared her shoulders and walked confidently out of the office. She didn't look over her shoulder until she reached the elevator to make sure he was following her. As the doors slid open she walked in and finally looked at the file.

As she flipped the folder open her breath caught in her throat as she read the name of the client. Her hands began to shake as her mind played image after image.

This just couldn't be happening.

"Oh don't tell me you're all bark and no bite. "

Almost forgetting she had company she turned a blank look at the man standing next to her.

"What? " she asked

"You look like you're about to pass out. You know if you can't handle this I'm happy to go -"

"I'm sure you would but I'm taking this case, deal with it!" she replied

She snapped the folder close and walked out of the elevator heading straight for her car.

"I guess I'll meet you there." she heard him grumble.

She didn't bother to reply. She just hurried to her car and climbed in. She slumped over the steering wheel and released a ragged breath.

Miranda cursed her wretched luck. Of all the clients in the city, why did it have to be the one man she made it her life's mission to avoid.

These next few hours would either pass as a blip in the course of her life, or they would be the trauma that broke her. She had allowed it once but she had vowed right after that never again would she let it happen. She turned the radio on and sat, only to turn it off just a minute later.

She glanced at the clock on the dashboard and swore. A few minutes had passed with her sitting here throwing herself her own personal putty party.

She put the address in her GPA system and followed the directions across town. The whole time she battled with memories that wanted to surface.  Today was not the time for this, no day was actually, or so she told herself.

When she pulled up to the impressive glass building she sighed when she saw Nathan waiting for her.

"You didn't get lost did you? " he said mockingly "You sure did ta-"

"Nathan speak less, believe me, it'll make you more likable. " she scolded him.

He stood wordlessly blinking at her but she also saw a look of respect cross his face before he quickly schooled his features with his usual smirk.

"Let's do this. " he turned on his heels and lead the way inside.

She took a deep breath and held her head high and followed him with confident steps.

The inside of the building was even more impressive. She did a quick sweep of the lobby before they were led to the equally posh-looking elevator.

Nathan threw her concerned glances the whole ride up.

"Hey would you relax," he said

"I'm fine!" she replied not looking at him.

"Sure you are, that would explain your death grip on the crumpled folder in your hands. "

She looked down and bit her lips with she saw the folder tightly clutched in her grip. She loosen her hold and sighed.

"First day. " she lied with a half smile.

"Yeah, I guess."

They were greeted by a secretary. The woman was tiny and bubbly. Miranda couldn't help but compare her to those creepy baby dolls that were always smiling and asking to be fed.

The sound of their heels clicking on the floor down a corridor echoed as they approach a boardroom. That's when Miranda saw him, his head was down but she would recognize him anywhere. Her steps faltered but she quickly caught herself and braced herself as he started looking up until his stare collided with hers.

She saw him go tense.