4

"Are you sure?"

"Are you sure?"

Miranda sighed as she paced up and down the office of her friend's rental shop.

"Yes, I'm sure. I couldn't forget his face even if I tried." She told her.

"Well I mean, did he recognize you? I've seen your pictures from way back then and no offense honey but thank God for your glow-up."

Miranda stopped in the middle of her nervous pacing to glare at Francine.

"Why do people always say no offense then proceed right into offending you?"

When Francine sent her an innocent shrug, Miranda rolled her eyes and fell into the chair by the desk. She dropped her face into her palms and released an aggravated groan.

"Why is he even here?" Miranda asked clearly freaking out.

"Heck if I know. I don't even know who he is...though the tiny glimpse I got of him during our hasty exit he did look pretty yummy."

Miranda sent her a blank expression.

"I'm just saying," Francine said with a shrug before answering the phone that started ringing.

Miranda didn't need her friend pointing out the obvious. She only got a small glimpse of Joseph but it was enough to tell her that she wasn't the only one that grew up pretty nicely. Then again he had always been attractive. That was the bonus on top of the personality he has that had captured her innocent tender heart when she was young. The same heart he had crushed and hung out to dry.

She pushed her thoughts away and stood up and walked to the door.

"Leaving so soon?"

Miranda turned back to Francine.

"Yeah I have to go get Zeke, school is about to be out."

"Are you OK?"

She could sense the seriousness of the question. She knew exactly what Francine was asking. She had to stop and ask herself the same thing. Is she OK?

"I don't know how I feel right now. OK is not exactly how I'd put it though."

She pushed open the door and squinted as she stepped into the sunlight. She reached for her sunglasses to shield her eyes and hailed a cab that was heading her way.

The cab ride to the school was quiet. She didn't even think about anything in particular. Her mind was way too scrambled with thoughts to pinpoint just one thing to focus on.

She told the driver to wait as she got out and stood next to the cab and scanned the crowd of students scampering around going their merry ways. She saw him just as he walked down the walkway surrounded by a group of boys. He smiled his tilted smile when he saw her.

"Hey, mom." He greeted her as he walked and stood in front of her.

"Hi Zeke, what no hug?" She teased him.

She chuckled when his eyes widened as he looked around.

"Mom not here alright, please don't embarrass me."

"Well alright, Mr. Cool guy let's go."

She pulled the cab door open and gave the driver their address.

"Where's our car?" Asked Zeke

"At home. I was out with Francine and we took her car instead of mine."

"Oh, alright then I guess that's fine."

"Well, I'm glad you approve."

She smiled as Zeke shook his head at her teasing and turned to look at the scenery as they drove by.

Her chest tightened as she watched him. For a six-year-old he was so calm and poised, it was scary sometimes how she felt like she was already raising a teenager or at least a pre-teen.

He didn't fuss and complain, he didn't throw tantrums, and he pretty much stayed to himself if he could help it. That's one reason she was surprised to see him with the group of boys as he walked out to meet her just now.

"So how was school?" She asked

He turned to look at her quietly before responding.

"It was alright I suppose."

"Just alright?"

"Yup."

"Did you make any friends?"

"I think it's too soon to tell mom."

That was another thing about him, he was not a kid that trusted easily. He reminded her so much of...

She shivered and looked away from her son when she saw where her thoughts were headed.

She handed the driver some money and smiled when she felt Zeke reach for her hand. It was rear for him to show affection so she basked in the moments when she had them.

"Did you finish unpacking?" He asked her as he stood waiting for her to open the front door.

"Not totally but your room is ready."

"Really? That's great mom thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Mom?"

She turned to him just as she was about to head for the kitchen.

"I think I'm gonna like it here."

"I'm glad to hear that." She sent him a smile. "Go put your things away and I'll make you a snack for you to eat while you get your homework done."

She watched him disappear up the stairs before she turn and walked to the kitchen. She busied herself preparing the PBJ sandwich just the way Zeke liked them. Putting it on a plate she sliced it in two halves and filled a glass with milk.

"Mom?"

She turned to her son with a raised eyebrow.

"I'm lactose intolerant remember?" he said pointing to the cup sitting on the counter.

She looked down at the cup and sighed.  She was far more distracted than she would like to admit.

"Sorry honey." She got another cup and poured him some orange juice and sat with him while he ate.

He chatted about his day at his new school and she tried her best to focus on him.  It wasn't easy though when a certain handsome man that never really did fit into a cowboy role kept on popping up in the back of her mind.

She told herself she wouldn't visit that café again,  no matter how delicious their coffee was.  She couldn't risk running into him again but little did she know God had other ideas for her.