30

Miranda lay with her eyes close, allowing her breathing to match the beeping of the machines surrounding her bed

Miranda lay with her eyes close, allowing her breathing to match the beeping of the machines surrounding her bed. The only indication of her heartbeat was her existence. She took a moment to appreciate life and then blink open her eyes.

The first thing she noticed was Joseph's hand holding hers while his head lay next to her, his even breathing indicating he was asleep. Half of her room looked like a garden or flower shop which surprised her.

She reached out, glad to see that her strength was back, and touched Joseph's silky strands. He shifted awake and looked up at her with wide eyes.

"Miranda... " he said in wonder as though he hadn't expected her to wake up any time soon.

She wondered just how long she had been in here.

"Hey cowboy." she greeted him the coughed.

He leaped to his feet and help her to sit up so he could give her a sip of water to help with the dryness of her throat.

"Let me go get a doctor, don't go anywhere," he ordered.

Miranda looked at the IV and machines she was hooked up to and grinned.

"I don't think I could move without being detected anyway." she kidded.

Joseph dropped a kiss on her forehead and then raced from the room, seems he was only gone for a second before he came running back in. She couldn't help but smile at his excitement.

"How long have I been sleeping?" she asked him.

"Two weeks and three days," the doctor answers walking into the room. "I'm glad to see you awake young lady. You gave us quite a scare there," he said as he walked over to the monitors and wrote stuff down on his chart.

"What do you mean?" she asked looking from the doctor to Joseph.

"Well, you suffered a broken rib which punctured your lung. The lung collapsed during surgery and your elevated heart rate didn't help. You almost flat-lined on us."

Miranda blinked in realization as the doctor's words sunk in. She could have died.

She looked at Joseph, his grim expression told her he was thinking the same thing. What she hated was the look of guilt on his face. She remembered him apologizing before she had blocked out.

"How do you feel?" the doctor asked shining a small light in her eyes.

"Soar but fine otherwise," she replied looking back to Joseph.

She wishes Joseph would smile or something.

"No headache or dizziness?" the doctor asked

"No my head feels fine," she replied without looking away from Joseph's face.

"You're lucky," the doctor went on. "I'll have a nurse bring you something for the soreness and if you're up to it, there are a few people in the waiting room that's anxious to see you."