1

As Joseph stepped into the evening air, a swarm of reporters immediately surrounded him eager to get information for their next big hit

As Joseph stepped into the evening air, a swarm of reporters immediately surrounded him eager to get information for their next big hit. He pulled his jacket closed as the flashing of lights and whirring of cameras momentarily obstructed his train of thought.

This was not good, not good at all.

"Mr. Walters, why have you been a faceless CEO for your own company?"

"Is it true that your company has leaked inside information for one of your clients?"

"Mr. Walters, do you know who the mole is?"

"Mr. Walters, is your company going to go under because of this?"

"Sir, is it true that your company has also suffered almost a million-dollar loss?"

"Do you know where the money has gone?"

"Mr. Walters, is there a reason why you've been hiding all this time?"

"Sir over here!"

Joseph stopped and took a deep breath as he tried to calm his raging nerves. A claustrophobic feeling from being completely surrounded threatened to completely overwhelm him.

"At this time I have no information on the matter. The reason for my privacy all these years is personal and it is not something I wish to disclose at the moment. My team and I are working to get to the bottom of this and I'm sure we will rectify the situation soon. Indeed it seems someone has betrayed my company and I assure the public whoever has dared to cross the line should be very worried. That's all for now"

For a minute there was a pin-drop silence. It seems his silent threat shook even the reporters standing before him. That didn't last long though because as soon as he made his way through the crowd the questions once again started coming.

He breathe in relief when the car door closed behind him cutting off any further questions.

"Where to Mr. Walters?" Asked his driver.

"To the office, Niles" he replied

"Right away sir"

Anger boiled deep within him like hot lava. It churned inside him, hungry for destruction, and he knew it was almost a little too much for him to handle. He closed his eyes and tried to calm his raging inferno.

Someone had dared to double-cross him and he would not stop until he found the doublecrossing son of a bitch. It was no question that the mole was indeed one of his employees. The question was who?

Joseph had worked hard to get his company off the ground. He had worked blood sweat and tears...OK so maybe tears were a far stretch since he was a man that never showed emotions nor lost control. He had worked hard to build his company though.

Despite the fact he was a stern employer faceless or not, he was very generous in the benefits and pay he provided for whomever he employed. Down to the very coffee girl was well paid and taken care of. That someone would betray him was unthinkable, unacceptable, and unforgivable.

As the car pulled to a stop in front of his high-rise office building he tried to steady his nerves. He was about to face his employees, none of which he trusted. He walked inside and observed everyone he passed through guarded hooded eyes. Just a glimpse of his look had even men twice his size scampering away in fear. He had no doubt they had seen the news with his threat. Little did they know it was more of a promise he intended to keep.

Stony silence followed him as he made his way to his office. The last face he saw was his secretary and she looked as though she was dreading having to work with him. He closed his door behind him and immediately pulled a bottle of brandy from his desk drawer. Joseph poured himself a glass and tossed it back. The liquid fire burned his throat and left a warm feeling in his belly as his raging nerves slowly came to a calm.

"Ms. Reid I need the files on every single employee on my desk in the next half an hour" he ordered in a clipped tone through the intercom.

"Yes sir" came the timid response.

He turned his chair to face the widow behind his desk.

In a matter of three days, his life had been turned upside down. The solitude of the ranch was almost a distant memory since he was dragged from working from home and thrown into the watchful eye of the public. His hope of remaining faceless, working behind the scene was instantly squashed.

He remembers he was looking through files and watching his brother awkwardly trying to deny the love he has for his now wife when he began to notice something was off with his company's recent financial statement. Realizing someone was stealing from him he had instantly gone from shock, and disbelief to anger. That anger doubled over when he received a call the next day from a company threatening to sue for their information leaking to the press.

How did I not notice something was off before?

He clenched his fist on the armrest of his chair. The veins instantly started to bulge.

This little mishap was already costing him more money than he was willing to part with. His lawyer was working overtime to keep most of this hushed but still, information was being leaked.

You'll be sorry the day you decided to screw me over.

A quiet knock sounded at his door. He remained facing the window but ordered whoever it was to come in.

"The files sir" came the voice of his secretary.

He turned in his chair and pinned the woman with a blank stare.

"Cancel all my meetings for today. Have coffee delivered every hour to my office. And come back after you're through, we have work to do." He said in a cool tone.

"Yes sir," she said as she hurried out of the office anxious to not be burned by his quiet fury.

Joseph almost felt sorry for the woman but at this moment no one was off limits.

He walked to the trolley of files and sighed realizing he would no doubt be here all night.