The Silver Guardian Bk. 01 Ch. 29

The Silver Guardian

By DaddyIrishman

A huge thank you to my editor Tex Beethoven for another amazing job and collaboration, thank you Tex you rock!!!

Book 1

Chapter 29

It was a cold Monday afternoon in October, and Dante was on patrol again. He was loping through the forest as the snow blanketed everything, turning the landscape white. Occasionally the snow would kick up around him as he focused his lupine senses on the area around him, on the alert for anything unusual. He had been patrolling for a while, and as always it was quiet and calm, with just the sounds of the forest as company.

Near the end of his circuit and near the edge of his assigned patrol area, he came across a fresh set of tracks. He leaned his muzzle in and instantly stiffened and growled. This was the scent of an unknown lycan, and there wasn't supposed to be one anywhere near their territory, let alone one this close to their compound. He considered sending out an alert, but he wanted more information first so he began tracking the unknown wolf, trying to learn more.

He had been tracking the prints for about thirty minutes when he finally caught sight of a single medium-sized brown wolf. The wind shifted, and the wolf realized Dante was nearby, and he took off. Through the Pack bond Dante alerted the others on patrol, as well as Alpha Odin and Ben, of the intruder and took off after him. He figured this was a single wolf, so his Pack and support could catch up when he had the situation under control. He had been gaining on the rogue wolf using his superior speed, and saw the wolf turn into a clearing as Dante raced after him.

He broke into the clearing and froze. He realized the enormity of his mistake in an instant, and he steeled himself for the worst. He was surrounded on all sides by 20 wolves who seemed to have been waiting for him, or at least for someone from the O'Connor Pack, to be lured here.

Dante knew how dire this was, but refused to be an easy target. He would make these interlopers work for anything they got from him. He bellowed out a roar that echoed across the mountain, and sprinted towards the closest wolf, raking his claws down his side and belly, laying him open and dropping him to the ground. Dante used all of his speed, strength and training to tear into the rest with extreme prejudice. He ripped the throat out of another, then clamped his jaws around the next wolf's neck before flowing to the next one, then smashing his shoulder into his chest of another, hearing his ribs break and the wolf go down. There were just too many however, and Dante howled in pain as a wolf lunged in from behind him and ripped into his flank with his claws. Even wounded and accumulating further wounds, he continued fighting...

***

Lily had been working with her Father on the family business like normal at this time of day. She was in the middle of a sentence when she stopped, feeling ice plunge into her veins as a sudden lance of pain and desperation struck her through the bond, overwhelming her. She fell to her knees and screamed out, "Danteeeeee!!!!!"

Odin was out of his chair in a flash and had Lily's shoulders in his hands, staring at her intenlty, "What's wrong?! What do you know? Focus!"

Lily choked out, starting to fall apart but knowing she mustn't, not now! "He's hurt bad, and I can feel desperation and anger, but it's all so intense and mixed up! He's in trouble Daddy, we have to get to him!!!"

Odin's face paled as he listened. He barked instructions through the bond to the Enforcers and Betas that there was danger and a rogue wolf, since that's all Dante had sent before his daughter's sudden outburst. Odin looked at Lily, "Do you know where he is? Can you detect anything to help us locate him?"