The Silver Guardian Bk. 01 Ch. 06

The Silver Guardian

By DaddyIrishman

A huge thank you to my amazing editor Tex Beethoven for the collaboration and editing magic he performed to make this a real gem!

Book 1

Chapter 6

It was dusk, and Dante was nervous. Everything was about to change in the next few minutes. Everything, as in the very nature of his own body! He stood shirtless in the middle of the clearing in front of the Manor House with most of the Pack surrounding him and his beloved Lily standing in front of him, ready to be there and prepared as well as possible... which wasn't very, in light of the new ground he was breaking... to guide him through his first lycanthropic shift.

"It's time Dante, let us meet your wolf together and begin the next chapter in our life together," Lily said softly to her mate.

Alpha Odin stepped into the circle with his mate Victoria at his side and addressed the Pack. "My fellow children of Luna, tonight we welcome a new wolf into our world and into our Pack. This is a signal blessing from Luna, and we as a Pack must lend our strength and support to our new member meeting his wolf for the first time.

"Never before has an event like this occurred, for our newest member, although fully grown, has never known the truth of himself and what he is until just a few days ago. We don't know what to expect, but we are here to lend him our strength and our succor as required, and once he has fully merged with his other self, we are here to welcome our newest wolf to the O'Connor Pack. This is a joyous time for us all since my daughter, Alpha Heir Lily O'Connor has found her predestined mate in Dante Silvrash, and the Pack shares in theirjoy at this renewal of the prosperity, strength and vitality of the Pack!"

A cheer went up through the crowd with several yips and howls sounding, before the large clearing once again went silent.

***

It was time. Lily released her fond grip on Dante's hand and took a step back. Dante took a deep breath and closed his eyes, directing his attention deep into his mind, searching for the amorphous sixth sense he had always called his wild presence. In what appeared to be a vision, he found himself on a gray plane with the almost full moon, just like tonight's, hanging brightly in the sky. He was naked and saw fog covering everything, and all was silent. Out of the darkness he saw the great black and silver wolf that he knew to be his other self, padding through the fog, heading towards him before stopping just within arm's reach. The great black wolf growled a challenge and raised his head to look into Dante's eyes. Are you at last prepared to face me, human? Are you at last ready to become me? Not speech, not sound waves, not wolf talk if there is such a thing, just thoughts in a shared consciousness. Dante raised his hand with a challenge of his own, daring his furry, dangerous other self to take offense or not, and slowly reached for the great black wolf's head. He could feel electricity begin to pop and run through him and increasing the closer he got to touching the wolf. As he finally touched the midnight black fur, just barely, just a hint of sensation in his fingertips, there was a sudden blinding flash and a tremendous roar ripped out from between the great black wolf's jaws as everything changed forever in an instant!

***

Lily stared intently at Dante's standing, motionless figure. He stood still and silent, arms hanging limply by his sides, his body erect and trancelike for several minutes. Lily was trying to be patient, giving him whatever time he needed. She eventually saw Dante first start to shiver, and then begin to shake, more and more strongly until his entire body was nearly convulsing. Suddenly an ear-splitting roar was ripped from his throat as huge bloody gashes opened up across his chest and arms and all over his body! Blood poured from open wounds that were growing to encompass his entire body as he fell to his knees. The wounds! The blood! This was unprecedented! Was her newly-found mate about to die from his attempted transformation? Lily was terrified and tears poured down her face as she struggled to know what had gone wrong, was powerless to do anything to help her beloved, and was desperate for this to end!