The Silver Guardian Bk. 01 Ch. 18

The Silver Guardian

By DaddyIrishman

A huge thank you to my editor Tex Beethoven for another amazing job and collaboration, thank you Tex you rock!!!

Book 1

Chapter 18

Dante walked into the library, ready for his second session with the Elders and Archivist. He had gotten up with Lily and showered and went to breakfast, before they once again split up to head for their respective lessons: Training in Madame Alpha responsibilities for Lily, and history lessons for Dante.

Dante greeted,"Good morning everyone, I'm excited for another lesson today!"

The Elders and Archivist greeted him in return before Elder Bruce began the lesson.

"Today we are going to cover Pack O'Connor history, and during any time we have left over, we'll start into worldwide lycan structure and history. So let's jump in, since we have limited time each day."

Dante nodded and looked thoughtful as he prepared himself to absorb another info dump.

Elder Maeve began,"The original O'Connor Pack was formed roughly 1,000 years ago in Ireland during the times of the Viking raids. They began small with only a few families, but eventually came into a position of significance in Dublin, which was one of just a few major towns in Ireland at that time. Their close cooperation with each other, like a large family all looking out for each other, but also with a strong Alpha leadership, helped them to begin establishing their influence, and Dublin is still their seat of power in Ireland to this day. The Pack has been around so long and has always been able to maintain such a united front, that it has absorbed many smaller and sometimes even larger packs over the centuries, and now is the largest Pack in Ireland and one of the more influential Packs in Europe.

"When the New World was found, and settlement and exploration began roughly 400 years ago, the O'Connor Pack watched, but remained in Ireland, biding its time: the possibilities in the New World appeared interesting but not compelling. But when the War of 1812 ended, establishing that the fledgling United States was a viable nation, and even though it shared a continent-wide border with Canada, which in other parts of the world could be a major liability, there was a high probability that this border would forever be a non-contentious one, the Pack's Alpha Pair in consultation with the Pack Elders decided to send some of their members to begin a cadet Pack over here.

"The younger brother of the Alpha of the O'Connor Pack at the time, Seamus O'Connor, was selected to become the first Alpha of the cadet branch, and he and his family brought 25 families of wolves, to form a new Pack over here. They ended up being some of the very first settlers ever to push this far west, and eventually settled here in what would eventually become Montana. The winters were harsh here, but for people able to grow fur coats at will, that wasn't much of a challenge. They, or at this point I should probably say we, were extremely isolated for a long time and grew slowly. But in time, expansion and exploration brought more settlers, human ones this time, and the O'Connor Pack was instrumental in setting up and assisting these new communities to survive and to begin to thrive.

"Whitefish was founded in 1904 when the railroad came through, and Alpha Odin's Great Grandfather Sebastian O'Connor helped to organize and set up everything to get Whitefish off the ground. Ever since the Pack first settled here we have been working the land and mining it for what we need, as well as for income. We have operations in copper, gold, silver, iron, coal and many other minerals and resources. When cattle came to Montana we also invested heavily in that, and now have one of the single largest ranches in the United States. We also have a fairly large presence in construction, which is very helpful for the Pack, since we undertake many construction projects each year for the Pack, the compound and many of our homes and businesses, such as your upcoming ones, Dante."