Chapter 18

My vision was blurred as I tried to drive away from his apartment. I can't believe I just ran from him because of that. So he had a son… named Jack… of course, it's just my karma. But he was now officially my boyfriend. I could get over it. I would have to.

I also knew I had to explain to him what made me run out like that. But because of the rule of secrets that is at the agency, I couldn't tell him I was a spy. I couldn't tell anyone I was a spy, friend or family, unless I was married to them. And that wasn't happening anytime soon.

When I wasn't shaking anymore, the tears no longer blocked my vision, and I was at a stoplight, I turned my phone back on from when I shut it off before entering Adam's apartment. I had multiple texts messages from multiple people, work, friends, family, but I read the one from Mom first.

Police and ambulance left, but looking for you. Trisha at hospital. Come back soon.

I put my phone down, and when the light turned green, jerked the wheel hard left, making a complete u-turn in the middle of the intersection. I know exactly where I was heading, and it wasn't home.

~~~~~~~~~~

I stared into the hospital room from the large hallway window, watching Trisha with my arms crossed as he machine beeped and the IV moved restlessly against her arm every time she moved. I know I had to get back, and I knew I didn't have that much time. But I had to know why she targeted us. I think it was a little more than revenge.

"Excuse me," I waved at one of the nurses who was passing, "May I go inside? She is my aunt and I would love to know if she's okay."

"I don't know if anyone's allowed in yet, but I can check." She replied, heading away. I waited until she turned the corner to pull the bobby pin from my hair, kneeling onto the floor and jabbing it in the lock. Within a couple readjustments it clicked, and I slipped inside.

"Well, look who finally decided to show up." Trisha remarked as I approached the bed slowly, "I expected you much earlier."

"Shut it." I ordered, my teeth clenched together. "Why."

Her face molded an innocent smile, "Why what?"

"Don't play dumb with me." My eyes landed on the machine, "I can pull the plug at any moment and you'll be dead."

"Do it, I've been shot before, I'll recover without any damn machine." She challenged, even gesturing to it. "Go on."

"Answer the damn question." I pestered again, my hands on the railing at the end of the bed, staring at her full profile. "Why now, after eighteen years, do you decide to show yourself. Why, after eighteen years, do you decide to kill my father, when you could've done it at any other point. Why in front of all of our family. What made this, today, the best day to do it all."

"You should know the answer to all those questions." She stated, but suddenly I swung around the bed, my hands grasping her neck, trying to choke the life out of her.

"Who do you work for!?" I screamed, slamming her against the bed a couple times, her shrieking fueling my adrenaline to do it even more. "Tell me!"

"Belle!" I heard the voice, but I was focused on killing Trisha more. The big hands wrapped around my wrists and I was pulled off of her, and was restrained until I had no energy left.

"Let me go!" I ordered whoever was holding me, because I didn't look around yet. It was either Dad, Alex or Peter. The only ones who could restrain me like this.

"Belle, you need to go home. You can't be here." Alex stated, "Trust me, you can't be here, things will get really ugly really fast."

"Who do you work for!?" I demanded once again, lunging with all my might, but his arms were around my elbows and I was stuck.

"That's what a secret is called, sweetie." She smiled sinisterly, "But, I am curious, do your parents know who you two work for yet?"

Alex and I both froze, realizing that our cover could've been blown. "What are you talking about, Trisha?" Alex asked like it was a joke, trying to shrug it off. "You're crazy."

"I am, but I'm not stupid." She shot back, "You have a strong team, although I don't know who thought  making the strongest guy you had the medic was the best plan."

"They're still field agents." I growled, turning my head around to face Alex, "Let me kill her, please."

"That would make everything a lot easier, wouldn't it?" She argued sarcastically, but I jabbed Alex in the gut so he'd let go, and then the claws came out.

"So God help me, I will shoot you again." I threatened, pulling it out, the barrel aiming at her head. "You'll die, right here, right now, in this hospital bed with all the regrets of pissing your niece off."

"Belle, put it away now." Alex ordered, "You can't kill her now. Not this time."

"Why do you always say that?" She asked rudely, aiming it at Alex. "You always say that. 'Not this time'. Like seriously, find a better catchphrase."

"Don't aim this at him, this is your problem." I growled, cocking the barrel back until it clicked. "There, it's loaded, all I gotta do is shoot."

"Belle, the police are already looking for us for questioning, we can't be here, and no one can see you with that." Alex stated, and I sighed, but reluctantly and disappointingly put the gun away. "If they find us, we're screwed."

"We didn't do anything wrong."

"Do you really think they're going to believe that?"

I headed to the door fast, my hand on the doorknob, but turned towards Trisha again. "Don't think this is over."

She smiled again, the corners of her mouth turning up until her teeth showed and her eyes flared, "Oh Belle, this is far from over."

"Go." Alex ordered, and I shot her a short glare and jerked the door open, and Alex and I both escaped from the hospital as fast as we could.

~~~~~~~~~~

"Where have you been!? You said you were going to drive to Abby's and they said you never came." Mom questioned as soon as I entered the house.

"I'm sorry, I was at Adam's." I replied, pushing past her. "Change of plans."

"Well, the police want to ask you a few questions." Dad added, appearing in the room.

"Look, you two saw everything, just answer them for me." I pleaded, heading up the stairs. I ignored everything else they had to say and entered my room, shutting the door, and pulling out my phone. When I scrolled through my texts, I finally read the text from Adam.

 Call me.

I pushed his name and waited for him to pick up. "Belle?" He asked once he did.

"Hi." I muttered, not knowing what to say.

"Hey, look, I know you were probably really freaked out earlier, and I get it." He continued, but it wasn't right.

"No, no, it's not you, or your son at all." I assured him, lying down on my bed, staring at the ceiling. "There's just a lot going on, and more things are being added to it, and it's just really overwhelming right now."

"I understand, and I wanted to let you know that I'm always here for you." He assured me back, and it was a relief to hear that somebody was on my side. "You're my girlfriend, and I'll be there for you."

A small smile molded onto my face, the first one I've had since before leaving his apartment. "Thanks, I really needed to hear that right now."

"I figured you did. And when everything gets settled over there, I'll get my sister to watch Jack and we can have another date night, okay?" He asked, and for the first time, I didn't think about my Jack, or what happened two years ago. I focused on Adam.

"Sounds like a plan." I answered, but I realized that it was already almost eleven, and I had to go into work tomorrow. "I'll see you later."

"Talk to ya later." He concluded before I hung up, and slid my phone onto my nightstand. I turned to one side and shut my eyes, breathing in calmly, mentally preparing myself for the day ahead. Hopefully my team could find some Intel on my aunt. I need all the information I could get on her, now that she knows that Alex and I are spies. I hoped that wouldn't lead to difficulties later.