Chapter 31

I was completely focused on the road and my thoughts when I was driving to the back alley. Sure, there were many back alleys, but the one it had to be was the one about two blocks away from the old building of the agency. I didn’t know what I was about to get into, whether they were going to use Mom as a ransom or not, or what they wanted. Maybe they just wanted to kill me. Maybe Dad as well. Or maybe they were just trying to kill everyone in my family. I half-doubted Mom was even alive anymore.

I parked about a block away and stepped out of my car, a cold breeze hitting me as I did. There were only a few streetlights to light my way, and exactly zero once I turned down the alley. Only when I turned the corner to its deepest point was there a single light on three figures, and one that was blindfolded and on her knees.

“Well.” The man on the left said, and the other just stood there. “You showed up.”

“Of course I showed up.” I shot back, eyeing my mother. “You have someone I need.”

“Well then.” The left man added, and the second put a gun squarely to her head. “This should be rather easy, then.”

“Belle, go.” Mom ordered, but I shook my head.

“What do you want?” I questioned, only to see a woman come out from the shadows. I clenched my teeth to see a family member in front of me.

“Drop your weapons.” Trisha ordered, and Mom trembled at her voice.

“Trisha!?” She cried, and the gun tapped her head, making her shrink down in fear.

I didn’t say anything, but pulled out the two guns from my belt and the knife strapped to my leg, dropping them to the floor and kicking them to the side.

“Keep going.” Trisha continued, and I pulled the semi that was strapped to my back and dropped it. “You must really think I’m stupid.” I sighed and pulled out the switchblade that was strapped to the ponytail of my hair, and then pulled out the two grenades from my boots.

“Okay.” I handed the two grenades to the man on the left. “Can I have my mother back now?”

The man who had her at gunpoint pulled the gun back and kicked her down, and she fell to the cement. I dropped down and pulled off her blindfold quickly, helping her up as I untied what was on her hands.

“What are you doing?” She breathed, but once she was untied, she grabbed my hand and tried to run, but I couldn’t go with her. “Come on!”

“I have to stay.” I told her, “But I need you to go to the hospital.”

“Why?” She asked, eyes widened with horror.

I turned towards Trisha, who had a rather smug, but sorry look on her face. “Dad will tell you. Just go.”

“I can’t see him.” She cried softly, “I just can’t.”

“Phillip got shot.” I informed, but my voice cracked weakly. “Just go.”

“Oh my God.” She whispered, kinda blinking at me for a couple seconds, but then she looked back at her sister, and ran off quickly. I watched her until she turned the corner, and she was out of sight.

“Just tell me what you want.” I growled, turning back towards them, “You wouldn’t let her go without a reason.”

Another figure entered, making it four people, but only for a short time until I noticed someone else was with him. I knew them both. They weren’t from my family. In fact, I don’t even know them too well. But when I saw the little boy who the man brought out, I swore I was going to have a serious panic attack.