Chapter 2

The attempted bombing made the news and people started cleaning up the helicopter crashes. Apparently the Russians killed the cameras to the school too, because none of it was caught on tape anywhere. I wasn't complaining because it meant I didn't need Milo to hack the system to erase the footage, but the cops were still not happy with the whole thing, because people still saw us. Which meant that Jane and I had to lay low for a while.

Which meant work was going to be very boring for me until they released me back out onto the field.

"Bye Mom, I'm going to work." I told her as I grabbed my work uniform for Mervin's and headed out the door. We were all given cover-ups for our work since no one was supposed to know we worked there. We were also scheduled positions for things like in the back and were never seen. We got paid fair, and that's all they cared about.

"Have a nice day at work, sweetie." She smiled, and I waved as I shut the door, hearing my squealing brothers before so. I did feel bad for her, just because she didn't work anymore and she was left alone with them as Dad and I worked. But that just proves how amazing she is.

I drove to work in my sleek black Nissan without any sign of accident on the freeway or anything, which is unusual. Usually there's some wreck on the Five. And I haven't gotten a text from Alex or Jane or anyone on my team yet. Usually they're annoying the holy crap outta me. But then again, my earpiece has been on mute since yesterday.

I turned the volume up some. "Hey, anybody there?" I asked, hoping the signal wasn't far out of range.

"Hey, look who finally responded." I heard Alex's voice, and couldn't help but laugh. "Yeah, we're all good. Some crap happened down here yesterday. Your school wasn't the only place they were looking for something."

"Well, does anyone know what they were looking for!?" I almost screamed, gripping the wheel even tighter. Someone has a bone to pick with me, fine, but threatening everyone and my family? That's going too far.

"Everyone here says you." Jane stated, and I sighed.

"Is that why we have to lay low for a while? Act normal?" I asked. "Are we getting suspended?"

"Yeah, it appears so. You should hear what Mr. Crank has for you." She muttered, and I groaned. His name wasn't really Mr. Crank, but we have been using that name for so long, everyone forgot what his real name was. But yes, he was a total crank when something did not go his way.

"What'd he make you do?" I? asked, coming into view of the building.

"He's making me work at some ice cream place where you need to plaster a smile onto your face or else." She complained, and I heard my other friends laughing.

"Where's he got me?" I asked, pulling into the parking lot, finding a spot and climbing out of the car. "Know what, never mind, I'm heading in right now."

"Oh, good luck." She muttered, and I breathed in deeply as I pushed through the metal and glass doors.

I was bombarded with people. Even in the large foyer, it felt like an elevator as people were asking me all sorts of things and telling me where I need to go. I backed up quickly as other agents were questioning me about the school thing, but I pushed past them and kept walking until I got to my office, which I shared with Jane.

"So, ya run into him yet?" She asked as she propped her feet up on her desk, but I shook my head. "Just wait for it."

"Look, I'm not going to be scared away from work by some cranky old man who needs four more hours of sleep then he gets." I stated, turning around and almost running into someone who was blocking my way. "Ooh, hi Mr. Crank."