Chapter 1

2 years later

There were so many of us, I couldn't count. All of us were outside on a crystal clear day near the end of June, wearing the same royal blue cap and gown, standing in line and waiting for our diplomas. We had to hold it in the football stadium because there were so many of us. The stands were filled all the way to the top, and I hoped my parents were among those lucky enough to see their kid. But this was probably the third greatest accomplishment of my life.

The first was entering the world in the first place.

I was born when my mother was nineteen and my father was twenty-four. They weren't even married yet when they had me. Not only that, but shortly after they were married, Mom went to college, and then toured North America for eight years as Cinderella from the musical they made just for that fairytale. I thought it was funny and maybe a little ironic, considering her name is Cindy, and also named after the Disney character. Which set us all up for the same fate.

My Dad, on the other hand, worked at a shipping company. He sits at a conveyer belt and tapes boxes out to be shipped. I thought they had machines to do that, but I guess not. Before that, he was a music teacher at Ridgeton High School, where I went to high school. Even the same school principal, Mr. Harper, is still here. Dad laughed when he heard he was still working here. But when he went from a music teacher to packaging and shipping boxes… I don't know why he quit.

I also have two brothers who are thirteen and ten, and probably the closet brothers on the planet. I actually don't know if they are at the graduation ceremony. Mom and Dad were more worried about their "grades" then seeing their big sister graduated high school. Which I guess is sorta acceptable.

But as the things of my life fell into place, good and bad, I found myself as the next person in line.

"Belle Trenton." Mr. Harper said into the microphone, and I picked myself up and slowly walked onto the stage, taking the diploma from his hand and shaking it. I turned towards the crowd and held it up high, and everybody cheered. Well, it was a greatest accomplishment.

"Good job, Belle." I heard my partner's voice in my ear, and I turned the volume of the earpiece once I was off stage.

"Thanks." I said, searching the crowd for her. "Are you here or just congratulating me?"

"Oh, I'm here. And I've got pictures for everyone at the agency to see." She laughed, and my face lit up in embarrassment.

"Thanks." I muttered, and I could imagine Jane laughing, wherever she was in the crowd.

"I saw your parents. They're proud."

"Of course they are. Their first kid just graduated high school." I stated, finding my seat and sitting down. "Are my brothers here too?"

"I think so."

I took another minute to scan the crowd. "Oh… I thought they wouldn't." But I felt my phone vibrate, so I pulled it out to see a text from my Mom.

gr8 job! c u once it's over. She texted, and also a picture with my family in the stands, smiling and all together. I was also very fortunate to have a family that was still together, even with them being apart for years. Mom wasn't touring consecutively, but it was still a long time.

"The two boys who are bugging the holy crap outta them? Yeah, they're here." Jane said, and I remembered she was still there, and I smiled. "But we've got bigger problems."

My smile turned into a furious glare as I jammed my phone back into my pocket. "On grad night? I don't think so." I complained. "Who is it now? China? Mexico? North Korea will attack at some point…"