Chapter 13

The following day I didn’t go straight to work. I didn’t want to, not with all the reports I still had to do. So I settled for Fullerton, hoping to get away from the reports, and also wanting to see Adam.

“Hey.” I greeted as I was the first to walk in 8th period a few hours later.

His head perked up from his desk. “Hey, long time no see.”

“It’s been, what, three or four days?” I shot back, but realized I had to lighten up. “Something came up yesterday. I’m going to have to come in and make up the test.” I said as I headed to my table.

“Like your car being crashed on the flyover?” He stated suddenly, making me stop. “You could’ve been killed.”

“How do you know about that?” I shot at him, slinging my backpack over my shoulder and onto my desk. I didn’t think he was one of them, but he could’ve been.

“It was on the news. I only knew because I crashed into it, too.” He waved me over to his desk because other students started walking in. “Are you okay?”

“Of course.” I assured him, and he took my hands gently. “I’m always fine.”

He laughed lightly, his fingers intertwining with mine. “Somehow, I believe that.”

I took my hands away before anyone could see us like that. “I’m going back to my desk, and I’ll come take it later, okay?”

“Right after class.” He confirmed, and I nodded.

 “Of course.” And I went back to my desk. 

I had to think what I would have to miss for taking this test. I was supposed to go into work today, but I guess not. Milo started helping me track down my aunt, and I hope that he found something. Or better yet, her.

After class let out, I was the only one left. I traveled to the front of the room and sat at a front desk. “Did you study?” He asked with the stapled packet in his hand.

“No.” I replied, and he gave me a disapproving look before giving it to me.

“Well, for your sake, I really hope you pass.” He told me before going back to his desk.

“For my sake…” I stared down at the packet, tapping it with the eraser of my pencil, and then staring at the clock. My voice fell to a whisper, “I hope I survive.”

The test was brutal. I’ll admit it. After going to work for a couple of days, I already started to lose everything I learned. My head hurt. My frustration grew. Sure I could pick locks and assemble car bombs and sneak around in air vents, but an English test? Out of my comfort zone and out of my range of knowledge.

“Are you actually stuck?” He asked, also looking at the clock. “I’ve gotta go soon.”

“Well English is just easier for you, isn’t it?” I glared at him, slamming my pencil down on the desk.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to rile you up.” He stood up and came over to my desk, holding out his hand. “You can finish this some other time.”

“Why?” My arms covered the paper; I was about four-fifths the way through!

“Because-” He slid the paper out from under me, tugging at it because of my arms forcing down on it. “Because I’m gonna take you out for dinner tonight.”

“What?” My face scrunched in confusion, but I shook my head. “No, no, I can’t, my car’s here!”

“Take your car home, and then out with me.” He offered, but I still refused. “Why not?”