Chapter 11

"Здравствуйте, Племянница." My eyes shot open as I heard a woman’s voice, but the language I didn’t understand. My body jerked up and I saw the woman there, on the other side of the flyover, light brown hair, black jumpsuit like the people who flew off the flyover. "Это хорошо, когда, наконец, встретиться с вами."

"Do you know English?" I asked, more rudely than I meant to, standing up and backing away from the edge. She was like the others, but why wasn’t she in the van? "I can’t understand you."

She didn’t do anything but stand there and smirk. "Мне очень жаль, что так долго с вами познакомиться."

This chic was seriously frustrating. "Are you going to stand there and speak a foreign language or are you actually going to speak to me to where we can communicate?"

She shook her head at my ignorance. "I’m sorry. I thought you’d know Russian by now."

I'm so sick of Russians.

"Who are you?" I demanded, but as soon as I asked, a black car came zooming, and she stepped forward.

"See you soon." She said as the car door flew open, and she stepped inside the moving car. I stood in awe as the door slammed shut, and the car drove faster off into the distance.

"…Belle?" I heard Jane's voice shortly after, but I was still staring off down the highway. "What's going on?"

"I don't know…" I muttered, taking my eyes off the road and landing them anywhere but there. Cars were now coming onto the flyover, slowly creeping along. Some even pulled over and asked if I needed help or if they could give me a ride. I declined every one.

"We're sending someone to close off the flyover." Peter informed, and around that moment was when Alex’s car approached and slowed to a stop. "We'll see you soon."

"Okay…" I replied as Alex stepped out of the car, looking to his left before approaching the edge of the flyover, and blew out a long whistle. "Damn, that was close."

"I know." I muttered, starting to feel my breathing shorten. I was about a second away from dying. Again.

"Did you get the info back?" He asked, stepping away from the edge. I pulled out the small flash drive and placed it in his open hand.

"Here. Take it back to the agency." I ordered as my eyes landed on the car I hoped to be able to drive. "I know the agency needs it back."

He clutched the flash drive, but the hug he gave left me shocked. "We need you back."

I hugged him back, clamping my eyes shut so I wouldn't cry. I could go back to my team. I had people to back me up in case I almost ended up killed again. But I can't believe how close I was. I'm going to have to go back to therapy… again.

My thoughts broke when I heard the engine of something I knew too well. Helicopters.

"It's the news helicopter." Alex stated as we both looked in the direction of the chopper. "Come on, we gotta get out of here."

We ran back to the car and climbed in, Alex flipping the license plate with the push of a button. He wasted no time in stepping on the gas, and we went zooming down the highway, heading towards the agency.

"We'll see you when you get here." Peter said through the earpiece, and I hoped that was the first time he talked in a while, or else I've been ignoring him for a while.

"Don't crash getting here!" Jane joked, but something in her voice said otherwise.

Alex held my hand lightly. "It's okay; you're finally getting back."

I was finally going back to where I belonged.

~~~~~~~~~~

The applause was at an uproar when Alex and I stepped through the doors of the agency. All people from different departments of the agency, even people I've never met before were standing and applauding. I felt my cheeks turn pink, but I lit up when Jane was running towards me, followed by the guys. I was here. I was here!

"Oh my God, you're back!" Jane exclaimed, and her arms were so tight around me I couldn't breathe. "And you're alive!"

"Yeah, what a shock." I muttered as I pushed her off of me. "I need Vice."

"Here." I heard his voice, and as I turned around, Alex was handing him the flash drive. He stuck it in his shirt pocket before nodding at me. "Well done, and welcome back."

My smile was too wide to hide. I spun around slowly, eyeing all the people around, who weren't really clapping anymore, but still showed their appreciation. And for once, I was the center of attention. I was the hero. I wish it was like this more often…

"Get back to work!" Vice ordered everyone, and like that, the moment ended. Everyone ran back to their work area, whether it was a desk, lab or gym.

"Hey, what about my car!?" I shot at him as he started walking away.

"It's getting towed here!" He called without turning around or stopping. My hands rolled into fists. I don't care if I did save this agency, that was my car!

"Come on, Belle. You've got lots of reports I just so happened to save for you to catch up on." Jane said, linking my arm as we started heading towards our office.

"I so appreciate that." I replied sarcastically, but at that moment I felt my phone vibrate. I slid it out of my pocket and read the letters on the screen.

Where r u?

It was from Adam.

"Oh, and Belle-" Vice said one more time before we were so close from heading into separate rooms. "You won't have to go to college anymore."

I looked back down at my phone, smiling weakly before looking back up, also stopping Jane. "Nah, I think I'll keep at it a little longer." I replied before punching in letters to return a text.

Srry. Wrk emrgncy. C u 2morrow.

"That was bold." Jane stated, pulling out her key and unlocking the office door. "What made you want to stay in college?"

We entered the room, and I took in a deep breath, sighing in relief at the familiar scent and feel of the room. It felt even better to kick my feet up on the desk in my rolley leather chair. "I have my reasons."

"Uh huh." She muttered, unhappy with my answer. She dropped a huge stack of papers on my desk. "If you won't give me a straight answer, I have my reasons to give you all the reports."

"Shut up." I ordered, sitting up and skimming through the papers. "There's way too many."

"Well then." She headed towards the door again, opening it slightly. "Better get busy."