Prologue

Demi's POV

I quickened my pace down the narrow road, as the winter chill was starting to fill the air this late afternoon. The faint murmurs of conversations in the French language as well as the sound of my Christian Louboutins hitting the cobblestone streets, were the only sounds that could be heard. Looking over my shoulder out of habit, I scanned the surrounding area before letting out a sigh of frustration. The paranoia I had developed over this last year had become beyond ridiculous and it was about time I put my foot down.

"Bonjour Mademoiselle," an older man with a heavy French accent said as he nodded his head and allowed me to pass the sidewalk without having to step on the damp grass. If there was one thing I could say I loved about this romantic city it would be that chivalry was still well and truly alive.

"Merci beaucoup, Monsieur," I thanked him in a small voice as my eyes landed on my destination, which caused a sense of relief to wash over me. Once again I looked over my shoulder one last time before picking up my pace and arriving at the post office.

Snuggling my face deeper into my huge Burberry scarf, I pulled off my knitted gloves and reached into my bag pulling out the letter. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath before unfolding the letter and re-reading it one final time before I finally send it off.

Dear Selena,

I miss you. I miss both you and Ari. I hope one day you can forgive me for leaving without saying goodbye, but I had to leave, Selena. I couldn't stay, not after what happened. Ariana probably hates me. I hope you never told her what happened to me, what happened to both of us. No one should ever have to know the details of what we went through that night.

That night. It's been a whole year Selena, and I've been running ever since but I can't keep running because I'm tired. I'm so tired of having to look over my shoulders. I want to live again. Please help me Sel, help me get my life back.

I'm coming back to California I'm scared shitless but I refuse to keep hiding. I've already sent my transfers to UCLA, which they've accepted. I hope you and Ari still attend there, I would love having the college experience with my best friends. I've also contacted my real estate, he's found me a gorgeous three bedroom penthouse about ten minutes away from campus. If you and Ariana find it in your hearts to forgive me, I'd love for you both to move in with me.

I'll be back in two months. I've written the reply address on the back. I really hope to hear from you.

Love always and forever,

Demi

xoxo

Letting some tears fall, I ignored the curious stares from people passing by and instead licked of the envelope and sealed it down tightly. Giving the letter a quick good luck kiss, I slipped it in the post office box and let out a long needed sigh. A sense of relief washed over me and for the first time in a while I smiled genuinely. Though the sky was gloomy and cloudy, I stepped out the post office and skipped my way down the Parisian cobblestone streets, headed towards my apartment.

~ A year and two months later~

It's been exactly fourteen months, two days, fours hours, thirty-six minutes and twenty-five seconds and counting since that night. The trauma of that night had not only messed up my trust in people and paranoia but it had also gave me horrible anxiety. Now just the very thought of going back to the place where it all happened had my stomach in all types of knots. It was way too late to change my mind about staying here as my apartment had already found a new tenant to rent out and most of my stuff had already been shipped back to LA.