Chapter Twenty-Six

Philip came into the living room in a flurry. "They have eyes on him."

All eyes in the room went to Philip, processed the information, then turned to Finn.

Finn nodded. "Then we go and don't come back until it's done."

For the first time in weeks, Mikko was leaving me. My security blanket to make sure I didn't step out of line was leaving.

Finn and Philip both immediately walked out of the room, I could feel the vibrations throughout the pack, mobilizing.

There were wolves going towards the specified location, there were wolves coming to guard the pack house. There were wolves changing in anticipation of the fight that they were going to seek.

Mikko walked over to me. "There are going to be pack fighters around the grounds. Even if they try to get in, they won't." I nodded, hoping he was right. He grabbed me by both sides of my head. "Put on the necklace and stay with the kids."

"The necklace that is at the house, away from here."

Mikko shook his head. "I wouldn't leave that artifact unprotected. It's in my room in the closet in the safe. The combination is the date of their conception."

It took me a moment to think back all that time ago to a specific date. When realization sparked in my eyes, Mikko gave a short nod.

He started to the door, leaving the office. "say the words Em."

"Bás a thagann dó."

He smiled, "You better mean it." And he was gone.

I went into the room and found the safe with the necklace, now humming with energy, waiting to be worn, waiting to be used.

I held the necklace in my hand for a long time, staring at it. The large, black, emerald shaped stone sat in a plain setting and was just as beautiful as I remembered when Clare had given it to me.

Clare was a witch, who happened to be the sister of Mikko's one and only wife, who died. Mikko wasn't one to talk about her much. I knew more from Clare's recollections about her sister than Mikko ever disclosed about his late wife. All I knew for sure, was that his wife was a witch, and that I looked just like her.

I felt like most of the problems that were between Mikko and I stemmed from looking like his wife. In my gut, I knew that if I looked different, he wouldn't have been so terrible to me. Things would be different.

I broke eye contact with the stone and shook off the feelings. Abigail had told me that strong magical artifacts had a tendency to find your weak spot and exploit it. The trick was to stop looking at them, which also was the hardest part.

I couldn't help but feel that as I put the necklace on, that it was going to be used tonight. I tucked the necklace into my shirt with the gemstone on my skin, effectively preparing the stone for usage.