Chapter Nine

Picture Credit to: Becky190

The next day I managed to get some alone time with the triplets. Everyone went to a pack meeting at Finn's, leaving me alone to be with my kids. Well, alone as I could get with wolves out of sight, stopping anything from getting to me or my children.

JJ came out of the woods behind Mikko's house with a smile on his face.  

For a moment, I was shocked to see him come into the backyard. I didn't think the guardians would have let him through. Mikko or Finn had to have allowed it, otherwise he'd be torn to pieces instead of walking towards me.

I recovered from my shock quickly.

"Were you really waiting for me to be alone?" I asked, amused.  

JJ had been doing everything in his power to stay away from Mikko. It was funny to watch.  

"I was," he admitted. His smile turned guilty as he walked forward. "But you're never really alone, are you?" 

I shrugged and glanced at the triplets before returning my attention to him. "Not with my children in the open with a pack that isn't trusted on the lands."  

There were three wolves surrounding the yard. If JJ decided to turn violent, they would be on him within seconds.  

"Should I worry about being attacked?" he teased.  

I pretended to think hard on it for a few seconds. "Just don't make any quick moves and I think you'll be fine." 

He took a slow step forward. "I don't think they're going to leap out at me." 

I smiled at him. "I think you're good." 

"Now the question is: if I asked you out on a date, would I be attacked for encroaching on Mikko's territory?" 

That momentarily stunned me.  

"Hypothetically, of course," I replied, unsure of the whole situation.  

"Of course," he said. His expression told me it really wasn't a hypothetical question.  

JJ was asking me out and I had no idea if that was what I wanted.  

This time I really thought on it. Mikko had been determined to keep me away from other men while I was pregnant with the triplets; he was probably thinking the same thing now. I wasn't Mikko's property, but in the eyes of the werewolves, I was because I carried his mark. It was a mark that had been forced upon me, but nevertheless, I still had it.  

"I have no idea," I replied honestly.  

He took another slow step towards me. "And, hypothetically, if I took that risk, what would your answer be?" 

JJ couldn't have been serious. If he was any good at being a werewolf, he would've heard about everything that had happened between Mikko and me. He knew Mikko could drag him through the dirt if he wanted.