Prologue

He's everything I've spent my entire life trying to avoid and that only makes me want him more.

He's a hedonistic, narcissistic, megalomaniac fuelled only by his hunger for power, but isn't there something strangely attractive about that? I can answer that. There's definitely something attractive about that.

He's the kind of man who would go out of his way to chase whatever he wants until he gets it, yet never finds himself needing to run far. I'd give anything to make him chase me. That's the problem with men like that though, isn't it? They aren't the kind of men to fall hopelessly in love, they are too calculated, too well guarded. Callous, sly and painfully sarcastic, yet still utterly perfect in every single way. Blaine DeBeers is the type of man women are supposed to hate, the type of man who breaks hearts and wears the title 'player' with pride. Women aren't a toy to be played with. Tested out and thrown away when you are out of them.
He's the kind of man who leaves before you wake up in the morning. He's the opposite of domestic, he'd never be a family man, marriage and children are words that could drive a man like him mad. Loving relationships are completely out of the realm of possibility for him -- however, here I am, wanting exactly that, and finding myself wanting it with him.

*

Sickly sweet, annoyingly innocent, impossibly shy and too genuinely kind to cope with, I think that's a fair description for her. Her. The girl that runs through my mind, leaving trails of vibrant happy colours and blindingly bright sunlight in her wake. Lexi Gilbert, she's a goddamn masterpiece, she's heaven sent. She's everything I hate in a woman. Still, I'm here, finding myself hoping she'll stay, finding myself hoping she feels the same way I do, finding myself hoping she never finds out who I really am. She'd leave if she knew.

It's stupid, I've spent every day of my undead life telling myself that sex is nothing more than a business opportunity, and maybe a convenient source of empty pleasure. That relationships were nothing more than a burden that would only weigh me down in the end, but being weighed down by her? Now that doesn't sound so bad.

Still, I'm a monster, there isn't room in my heart for someone so positive, she's helpless. She's drowning in a rose-tinted layer of optimism and the longer she knows me the thinner that layer will get.

I lie, I cheat, I manipulate, she doesn't deserve that.