Chapter 8: Something New

Loki P.O.V.

I took the opportunity to bathe in order to feel fresh in the “new” clothes I received. Thanks to my earlier investigation, I already knew where the bathroom was. Mandy remained in the kitchen to finish up the work she had left off.

Just before I stepped into the shower, I took a peak at my back. The bruises had begun to heal. They were no longer dark and purple. They were lightening up and did not hurt as much as they had the night before. I knew however that the bruises were not the only things that my magic had to fix. I had probably broken a bone or two that was using up most of it. There was no certainty that I would regain my powers soon.

Though the bathroom was so much smaller than the one I had been accustomed to, it was bearable. There were bottles of washing substances and such on a counter where I placed my things on. Just as I expected, there seemed to be a specific order for everything.

Cold water struck my skin as I turned the shower on. I did not feel bothered by it though. Ever since I was a child, I was always alright with the cold. It angered me now that I knew the reason why I was so. Frost Giants were used to this. In fact, they were practically made of it. They were beasts of frozen darkness, with no soul or remorse. They were monsters.

I am a monster.

I increased the volume of water to a point that I felt I could drown myself in. I desperately wanted it to wash away everything: my thoughts, my pain, my past, my disgusting heritage.

 If only it was that simple. It would take more than that to erase them all completely. At the very least, it could numb me from those things for the moment. And I was going to make it last for as long as I could.

Mandy P.O.V.

As I was finishing up with the kitchen, I heard the shower in the bathroom turn on. I suspected that Loki was taking a bath, since he left after I gave him his clothes. I decided to fix his bed while he was away.

Strangely enough, it was already done. Except for a small area, most of the cover was already smoothened out. The blanket was neatly folded and the pillow was fluffed up. When did he do this? I thought. Wasn’t he resting until before I arrived?

I was starting to think Loki did not do what I told him to, after all. But then again, I did not know him well enough to assume he would actually listen. Lesson number one, Loki is not as obedient as I had hoped.

As much as I wanted to confront him, or at the very least ask him what he really had been up to, I could not. I told him that I trusted him and doing that would mean that I doubted him. I reminded myself that I agreed to take the risk of letting him in.

Realizing it was useless to worry about it, I returned to my work.

Loki P.O.V.

I probably spent over an hour in that shower and my skin would have been wrinkled if I was a mortal. I was also certain that I would take a long time to dress in the clothes I was given. An additional difficulty was the fact that my body ached as I put each piece on. What was good, though, was that the garments were much lighter than the ones I normally had.

I did not know whether Mandy intended it or not, but most what she gave me were colored green, my favorite color. I looked into the bathroom mirror to see how I looked like. I would not consider it vanity, but I had to admit I looked alright. The only time I ever dressed like a Midgardian was when I met with Thor during his banishment. Though I preferred their formal wear, the clothes Mandy provided me were suitable.

I left the bathroom as soon as I was changed. At first, Mandy was nowhere to be seen. There were no sounds to indicate where was. A little worried about her sudden disappearance, I looked around the house for her.