Chapter 6: First Night

Mandy P.O.V.

“So, will you stay?” I asked Loki with a glimmer of hope that he would agree. I honestly wanted to help him, regardless of the circumstances that came with it. He needed it. Even though I barely knew who he was, I could feel in that outburst of his, that he was alone and in pain. I had felt that way once before and no one should ever experience that.

I was willing to wait and give him all the time he needed before replying, but he gave an answer in less than a minute. “Yes.” He said in a sincere and calm voice. I gave a sigh and a smile before telling him, “Then make yourself comfortable and rest. I’ll wake you up for dinner.” After that, I left the living room to give him some privacy. On my way out, I could hear him shifting around the couch. With that, I knew he followed just what I had told him do.

Most people would think that what I did was stupid. Some time ago, I would have felt the same. I just took a stranger into my home and let him live with me. There is, however, a reason why I let it happen. Someone had done the same for me.

I was just like Loki, homeless, alone and afraid. I had a shady background and did not deserve to be trusted, but someone took me in with no question. There was nothing I could offer her, but she gave me a place to stay and food to eat. She took the risk and had faith in me, who was then, no one worth caring for.

As I entered my room, I heard my clock beep five times, signaling that is was five o’clock in the afternoon. It was set that way so I would never lose track of time even though I could not see. My blindness forced me to keep a strict time schedule or else I would be staying up all night thinking it was just noontime.

Any normal person would spend time by reading a book or watching television, but unfortunately for me, I could not do any of those things. Instead, I chose to do a personal hobby of mine. After feeling though a drawer, I found my lump of modeling clay. It may seem childish to most people, but that is because they do not use it the way I do. Molding was a way I could express myself without the need to see what I was doing. It consoled me that artists did not need eyes to create art. I kept myself busy with that until it was time to cook and prepare dinner.

Loki P.O.V.

“Loki?”

I heard a gentle voice calling me, breaking through the lull darkness I was in. The voice was familiar, but I could not name it.

“Wake up, Loki.”

I felt myself being shaken lightly. I opened my eyes and saw a girl with dull gray eyes and black hair. Mandy, I said to myself as my memories flooded back in. I brought myself up in a sitting position and rubbed my eyes to push away the drowsiness.

“Did you sleep well?” she asked me. Quite frankly, I did not recall falling asleep, nor did I remember dreaming. “I guess so, if you find this lumpy large cushion conducive for comfortable sleeping.” Yes, I am that much of a liar. A little bit of rest had helped me feel normal again, almost.

She did not look at all insulted or hurt at my statement. Instead, she simply said, “Well, you did agree with staying on the couch.” She had a point there, so I did not argue. “Come on. You’ve been asleep for a couple of hours so must be hungry.” Mandy told me while offering her hand for me to take. I gave my hand to her and she pulled me up carefully. She then led me to a table with what I guessed to be Midgardian food. There were two plates set for us. I sat down on one seat and she on the other. Mandy pushed a bowl of the strange food towards me. “What is that?” I asked with a hint of disgust in my voice. She smiled and explained each to me patiently. I took mental notes on what she was saying, but most of the time, I was analyzing how she seemed alright with everything. Did she not find it unusual that I was unfamiliar with what was common to her or was she completely oblivious to things like that?