Chapter 15: Morning Calm

Loki P.O.V.

It felt strange to wake up to nothing. For the first time since I had arrived in Midgard, I was roused by my own need to end sleep. The light drizzling outside was barely audible and the cold air made area feel empty.

The silence of the house reminded me to check on Mandy, who was probably still ill. Without truly acknowledging it, I felt responsible for her. After all, if I refused to help her, no one would. She was already blind and being incapacitated by her illness would have made things much more difficult for her.

Mandy was sound asleep in her bed. She appeared quite relaxed and did not show any sign of discomfort. I gently touched her forehead and found that her temperature had dropped several degrees. Her fever had broken that night but she still needed rest to recover completely.

Seeing how peaceful she was, I decided to let her stay in bed. I walked over to one of the windows in her room. The broken one was still boarded up but the other was still intact and allowed me to peer through it.

The mist created by the rain made the area look so different. There was a gray and white landscape outside. It seemed like everything was calm this day.

Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep...Beep!

I jumped at the sound of Mandy's clock. It irritated me that it destroyed the serenity of the moment. I turned around, dreading that the noise would wake Mandy up.

Just as I thought, she pulled herself up to stop the sound. She then scratched her head sleepily before starting to cough.

In response, I ran to the kitchen and brought her a glass of water.

"Here." I said, offering it to her.

Mandy held back her cough to say, "Loki?" She must not have noticed my presence earlier.

"Yes. Drink this first so you can ask more sensible questions." I told her as I put the glass in her hands.

As usual, she did not take offense. She simply took the drink without caring about the rest of what I said.

Afterwards, she combed her hair with her fingers as she spoke, "I feel a lot better today. Have you eaten yet?"

I unnecessarily shook my head as I replied, "Not yet. I woke up not too long ago."

"Then I better make breakfast." She said, throwing the blanket aside.

I grabbed her arm to stop her. "You need to rest. You are still recovering."

She sighed and said, "I don't feel too bad to make a meal. Besides, I can't let you starve."

I thought back and realized I had only eaten a fruit or two yesterday. My mind was too focused on Mandy's situation to care too much about food.

"Don't worry about me. I won't overexert myself. I promise." She said, though her last sentence sounded like a mischievous child trying to cover something up. I would know.

Regardless, I permitted her to work.

She slowly made her way to the kitchen and began to prepare her tools and ingredients. Since I did not know much about what to do, I simply observed.

It still amazed me whenever I saw her perform intricate tasks though unable to see. She successfully chopped vegetables and meat without hurting herself. All the measurements were set accurately to her needs. She knew exactly where things were and what to do.

"You truly know how to manage things here." I told her as she finished cooking.

Mandy placed the soup into two bowls while saying, "I have to. Accidents are hard to handle when you can't see."