Chapter 13: Victims of Fate

Mandy P.O.V.

The two of us calmed down for a while. I could have sworn I was releasing heat earlier which probably meant I was more pissed off than I thought. We both needed to cool our heads.

Just as I was getting used to the silence, Loki decided to speak and unfortunately, it was about the one topic I wanted to avoid.

“May I now ask you to share what it was that you dreamt about the other night?”

I cringed at the mere mention of my nightmare. “I still don’t know how I can tell you that.” I told him honestly. I was not ready and did not know how to begin.

He did not get mad again, but he did not sound happy when he tried to say, “I thought you said…”

“I know, but I wished we didn’t have to start with that.” I said, cutting him off.  “It’s not something I like to talk about.”

“How long do you intend to hide it?” he asked, sounding like he was trying to hold back his anger.

I bit my lip before replying. “As long as I can. Can’t we just let it slide for now? There’s nothing there to make you not trust me.”

It was true. What happened back then only affected me and hopefully no one else. I was keeping it to avoid dragging Loki into my problems. He had to understand.

His next statement, however, shocked me. “No, but it had something to do with how you lost your sight, right?”

My body froze while I tried to contemplate of ways how Loki could have known. “How did you…?”

“You mentioned it while half-asleep.” He informed me bluntly.

I scanned my memories to confirm that he was telling the truth but everything was a blur.

 “Did I say anything else?” I asked while my nervous breathing began to become audible.

“You said people were after you.” He told me in the same tone he had used earlier.

I was not at all happy that he knew so much. More so, I was mad at myself for letting such things slip from my mouth, even if I was asleep.

“It sounds like you know enough, why do I have to tell you now?” I tried to hide my irritation as I spoke.

Unlike me, he was calm when he responded. “It aroused my interest. I wish to understand it completely. What led to such a thing and why did they want to kill you?”

I was not prepared for this, nor did I even want to talk about it. Unfortunately, there was no escaping it now. I had to tell him.

Feeling defeated, I took a deep breath and began.

“Some years ago, I was involved with a group of thieves; not by my choice of course.” I added, just to make sure he did not get the wrong idea.

 “They sort of took me and forced me though blackmail and death threats.”

“You became a thief then?” He asked with a tone that meant he was curious but not accusing.

“Not exactly.” I told him.  “They made me their decoy and look out. Ironic right?”

A bitter and sarcastic laugh escaped my lips before I continued. “I would act like some innocent customer who’d distract the owners while the rest robbed the place.”

I paused, waiting for Loki’s reaction.  He did speak, but not with the expected response.

“That does not explain why you are blind.”