Chapter 26: Living In Fear

Mandy P.O.V.

It did not take long for Loki to fall asleep and it was not something surprising. His exhaustion was evident by his deep and slow breathing.

I felt sorry for having him go through so much for me but I also could not be more grateful. He had saved my life, after all. He deserved all the rest he could get.

His current unconsciousness also helped ease my mind with my uncertainty regarding his feelings as well as my own. His sudden show of affection had surprised me but I did not necessarily dislike the gesture. It was more of the implication of it that bothered me. Regardless, I put the thought aside for another time; when I am more emotionally stable and rational to deal with it.

I told myself that I needed to rest too. Whatever Loki did for me took all of my strength and I needed to regain it if I wanted to recover.

That being so, I tried to clear my mind and focus only on the darkness. It usually would have put me to sleep within minutes. This time however, it was near impossible.

My thoughts were ruled with much negativity, making me more tense than calm. I felt a mix of fear, anger and regret welling up inside me despite my efforts to keep my emotions at bay. The air around me seemed cold and eerie. It was as if Loki and I were not alone. I could almost hear footsteps moving around the house.

I tried to shake those ideas away and let rationality take control. I did not want to lose myself to those delusions. I had to be stronger.

I'll be okay. I'll feel normal again soon. I repeated mentally. I had to try to convince myself even though I knew it would not be that easy.

It took several failed attempts before I realized I was not going to get any rest at all. Ugly memories and thoughts seeped into my mind every so often, ruining any progress I had made in relaxing.

Worried about waking Loki with my repeated jolts and movements, I decided to slip away for a short while. I honestly did not want to be far from him but I also did not want to burden him even more than I already had. My current paranoia was my problem, not his. I had to try to be brave on my own.

I wobbled over to the kitchen as quietly as possible, despite how exhausted my legs were at the moment. My room was one place I had no plan to enter for a while anyway.

I took a seat on the table for a few minutes to rest before getting up to pour myself some water. It was not supposed to be a difficult task but I found myself trembling from the weight, causing me to drop the glass.

The sound of it shattering onto the floor suddenly triggered a very horrible sensation within me. Memories of the incident began flashing in my mind. Voices started bombarding me with threats and taunts. I could not run. I could not move. I could not breathe.

"Hello, bitch. It's payback time."

"No. Not again." I mumbled.

"Oh, a feisty one! Wanna fight back little missy?"

"Stop. Stop it." I kept pleading.

"No one ever hits the face!"

"Stop, please."

With whatever strength I still had, I clutched my head, begging for all of it to end.

Loki P.O.V.

Something was terribly wrong. My senses seemed distorted and Mandy was nowhere to be found. It was strange that she had gone missing when she was never too far away.

"Mandy? Where are you?" I called out as my eyes wandered in search of her.

There was no response from her but I could hear other strange noises instead.

BlindSight: A Thor (Loki) FanfictionOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara