Chapter 27: For What it's Worth

Greetings my readers! Guess who came back from the dead!

Yeah, I know I owe you all hundreds of apologies for taking this long but after all that I've been through this past year, I was left so uninspired that I could barely add a word to the chapter. But finally, here it is! The latest chapter: Chapter 27!

Loki P.O.V.

Mandy's mood had improved significantly; for the moment at least. The distraction I had provided managed to make her smile again.

Seeing her that way put me at ease. It helped to know that the strong young woman that I had met and grown to admire was still there. She was merely going through a difficult time but I knew that she would return to her old self again eventually. I need only to remain patient until then.

"Are you okay?" Mandy asked sheepishly, getting up from the floor and offering to pull me up as well.

Taking her hand, I said to her, "Would I be otherwise?"

"Well, I did just knock you to the ground. I'm just worried you hit your head or something." She replied.

With a smirk of amusement, I told her, "Stop worrying about me. I am much more durable than your kind."

She sighed in relief. "Good. I wouldn't want to hurt a snowman."

At that, I raised an eyebrow. "Is that supposed to be an insult?"

"No. I'll stop if it offends you, though." Mandy kindly offered.

Though she would not be able to see it, I shook my head and said, "I am not offended but it is a little strange that you would call me that."

"Well, frost giant sounds so harsh." She explained.

"It does. It is actually a derogatory term ." I informed her.

Nodding in agreement, she then said, "That's why I'd rather call you a snowman."

"I am not made of snow." I insisted.

Mandy reached over for my hand saying, "I know, but your skin is much colder than most people."

"You have said that it does not bother you." I reminded her.

Her lips pressed into a smile before telling me, "It doesn't. It helps me know that it's you I'm touching."

"You recognize my coldness?" I asked with a hint of surprise in my voice.

She squeezed my palm gently as she told me, "I know it's you when I feel a cold hand that would never hurt me."

There was a hidden sadness in that complement.

"No one should ever hurt you." I muttered.

Mandy scoffed. "Looks like they never got the memo. There are always people out to hurt me."

"Then I will make sure they never do." I vowed.

She released my hand. "You know you don't have to. I mean, it's not that I don't appreciate it, but I really don't want you to get hurt because of me."

"You have called me strong before. You can trust me to handle mere mortals." I assured her.

Mandy P.O.V.

Though his self-esteem was getting better, I could not help but continue to worry about him. He still had not told me how he managed to get both of us out of the clutches of those horrid men. All he had promised me was that they were never coming back. If they had hurt Loki, I could never forgive myself.