Chapter 16: Little Town

Mandy P.O.V.

A new day had dawned and I felt a lot better than I had been for the past few days. My fever was gone and Loki and I got to talk, releasing the tension. I felt refreshed even if I did have to wake up in the middle of the night thanks to that terrible thunderstorm. Regardless, I was not going to let it spoil my morning.

As I walked out of my room to start making breakfast, I passed by the living room. I heard gentle breathing from where the couch was supposed be which meant my guest was still asleep. By the way he sounded, he must have been deep in sleep.

I felt a little guilty realizing that he was probably exhausted from taking care of me while I was ill. For someone who looked down on himself so much, he was quite selfless. If he truly was a bad person, he would not have stayed and helped me.

I was about to leave and let him be when I accidentally kicked a cloth on the floor. Upon further inspection, I found out that it was his blanket that must have fallen off. As carefully and as quietly as I could, I picked it up and placed it on Loki. He did not seem to stir so I went on my way to the kitchen.

By the time I had finished cooking, he was still asleep. I opted to wait for him to wake so we could eat together. Retreating to my room, I pulled out some clay to toy with for a while.

I had spent a few minutes molding when I heard my door creek open.

 “Mandy?” a familiar voice suddenly said.

“Oh, you’re up. Good Morning.” I greeted my house guest with a smile.

“Are you feeling better?” he asked, taking a seat beside me.

I patted his hand lightly as I answered, “Yeah, thanks to you.”

He pulled it away gently and sighed. “Do try to avoid getting sick again. It is quite a hassle to continuously check if you haven’t fallen off the bed in your feverish state.”

I was certain he was trying to make it sound like he did not care but I knew that he was just too proud to admit that he was sincerely worried. His actions in the past two days proved as much that he was concerned.

Taking what Loki said lightly, I chuckled before saying, “For the record, I only fell once and it was not from the bed.”

“If you say so.” He scoffed, making me giggle again.

Not wanting an unnecessary and useless argument, I said, “Fine, whatever. I’ll let you win.”

After a few calm seconds, I asked him, “Have you eaten breakfast?”

“Not yet. I have only just risen.” He answered bluntly.

Taking his hand, I told him, “Then come on. Let’s eat.”

We ate without too much bickering, although he had a tendency to rub in how much displeasure I put him through dealing with the past few days.

I found it funny how he never complained when it was actually happening but I let it be. After all, I did owe him for helping me out and dealing with all the drama I put him under.

After a while, I decided to let him know what the plan for the day was.

“I need to go to town in the afternoon. Would you like to come with me?”

The sound of utensils stopped and I understood that my offer surprised him. I let a few moments pass to give him time to decide.

“I’m not entirely sure I should.” He answered with honest hesitation.