Bittersweet Farewell

The first day of school in the week was inevitable. Given the recent events Alisha was glad to meet up with her friends early before class, as they traditionally did. The sat on the windows sills in the cafeteria and Spencer stared out into the rain. It had started raining at around midnight last night and hasn't stopped since. They were all wearing cozy clothes, mostly jeans and sweaters. 

"I had nightmares from this creepy as doll head last night", Hanna yawned. "Where did you put it?" 

"I took the card and threw the rest of it away", Alisha replied, "It was too disgusting to keep it. I hope A doesn't expect a thank you card." 

"Honestly, though", Spencer turned her head to face them, "What are we going to do now?" 

Hanna shrugged, "Nothing." 

"We can't do nothing", Emily sounded desperate. She had been walking up and down the window aisle and her arms were crossed in front of her chest. 

"Maybe Aria has an idea", Hanna suggested, "She's going to be shocked about this." 

Alisha raised her eyebrows, "Do you see her anywhere? Looks like she doesn't really care to me." 

"She has been missing in action, lately", Spencer agreed, "but we need to fill her in on this." 

"I haven't seen her all weekend", Emily finally stood still. "I was wondering about it, too. She's seemed distant since her break-up with Mr. F."

"I'm not telling her", Alisha lifted her hands in defence, "If she wants to know whats going on with era friends, she should ask." 

Spencer rose from the window sill and wrapped her bag. Lessons would start soon and they should get to their classes. "We'll see how it goes with her." 

***

On wednesday the last game of the football season took place. Principal Garner had arranged a commemoration for Colin, where pictures of him would be shown and some people would say some words about him. Apart from that, the last game of the season was also a showdown for the cheerleaders. Alisha had been practicing for this with the Rosewood Thorns since day one of the school year. They had studied stunts and choreographies they've never shown before, just to blow everyone off their seats at the game. 

The preparations were in full progress for the big event and Alisha had already put on her uniform. It was a two piece dark blue costume with silver and white stripes on the skirt. The cropped top rad the word THORNS on the front and had the first letter of every girls name on the back.

The field was still empty but many visitors had already gathered on the ranks around it. The boys were playing agains Philadelphia High, whose team was called The Tigers. A little more over the top was the name of Rosewood High's team. The Beasts. There had been a big discussion about the cheerleaders changing their name to The Beauties, but Alisha didn't like the idea of presenting herself as the nice accessory. A thorn was strong and powerful and it made a rose invincible. 

Hanna appeared next to Alisha, who was watching the vibrant crown from a safe distance. "Hey", she tilted her head, "are you doing okay?" 

Alisha sighed, "I guess now its official." 

A gigantic portrait of Colin was hung by the field and more and more flowers were put down on the ground below it. Alisha had also laid down a bouquet from her birthday. but she denied Principal Garners request to five a speech at the event. Usually she had to, as lead cheerleader, but in this case she delegated the job to Dylan and Meredith, Colin's other ex. They were going to start the event off with Principal Garners speech, followed by a minute of silence for Colin. After that it was Dylan's and Meredith' turn. To not lose sight of the actual reason they had gathered, afterwards they'd play the national anthem and then it was Alisha's time to shine - her and The Thorns had to heat up the atmosphere and welcome the players to the field.