The Road to Hell Is Paved with Good Intentions

Alisha had been carrying around her phone like a rock in her bag for the past 6 days. There were several times when she felt the urge to just throw it in a pond or let a car run over it. But she knew too well that A would find her even if she had no phone at all. Yet she was still unsure about how to handle what A had texted her last friday night. She hasn't told anyone about it despite everyone constantly asking her what's up. They must think she's lost her mind but luckily she could reason her behaviour with their upcoming finals in a few weeks. 

Right now Alisha sat in the school library by herself working on a history paper that was due until tomorrow. She gave her best to focus but her thoughts always got in the way. To top things off Mona was just entering the library and sat down a few tables away from Alisha. She took some books out of her bag, put earphones on and started reading. Alisha considered leaving and was about to collect her things when her phone buzzed. 

Here's your chance - if you don't take it I have plenty of plans for you. xoxo A

Alisha looked around in shock. Somebody in here must be A, how else would she know where Alisha was and that Mona was with her? There were a few freshmen gathered around a table, the book lady who was sorting books into boxes and two guys from her year absorbed in a furious discussion that had been going on for the past 30 minutes. But none of them was holding their phone or even looking at Alisha or Mona. For a while Alisha just stared at Mona. She had been so sure it was her in the beginning. She couldn't remember how this whole feud between Mona and her had started, it felt like its been going on since forever. They grew up together and spent a lot of time as kids in primary school, back when Mona's parents hadn't had a business as big as it was today. The Vanderwaals were new in town and Alisha's mom was working as a volunteer at church community. She invited Mrs. Vanderwaal over and she brought Mona with her. Alisha felt so sorry for her not having new and trendy clothes that she gave her a huge load of things out of her closet. In middle school things changed. Mona had always tried really hard to live up to Alisha and she was always jealous of Aria, Alisha's closest friend at the time. When Hanna and Spencer joined the tribe Mona kind of felt left out and distanced herself from them. She made it her passion to compete with Alisha and slowly became an outsider at school. Alisha thinks she secretly blames her for not being as popular but she also knew that this was Mona's own fault. 

All of a sudden she did feel sorry for her, wondering what was going on with her parents if her mom was really cheating on her husband. Everyone knew the Vanderwaals as a team. They did work hard for what they have now and Alisha couldn't imagine when she actually had the time to meet up with Mr. Montgomery, through all the work she was dealing with. She took a deep breath and walked over to Mona's table. Mona didn't notice her so she coughed slightly. 

This time Mona noticed and she took off her earphones. "What?" she asked with an annoyed look on her face. 

"You have a moment?" Alisha asked and already sat down. 

Mona smiled ironically, "For you? Always."

"Look", Alisha said, trying to sound diplomatic, "I just wanted to let you know that you can always come stay with us if there is anything going on at your home." 

Mona looked at her in disbelief, "Thanks, but I don't need your help." 

"So, is there?" Alisha blurted. 

"Is there what?" Mona narrowed her eyes. 

Alisha lowered her voice after she saw the book lady angry eyeing her for being so loud from the corner of her eye, "Is there something going on? At home I mean?" 

"Why do you care?" Mona asked. She didn't sound as leery as before. Alisha was hoping she'd tell her that she already know about the cheating. This would mean another victory over A and another proof that A was just playing it cool but actually had nothing in hand.