Prompt #21

Prompt: Can you do one for Changing Will where Ethan has a horrible nightmare and he needs Will but he's alone at home?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                I sat up, my heart racing, a scream tearing from my throat. My body was covered in cold sweat, and I nearly smashed my head against the wall as I scrambled into the corner to huddle up in a little ball. My eyes darted around my room as I trembled.

                “Just a dream, just a dream,” I whispered to myself.

                My parents were out of town for the weekend, leaving me home alone. I suddenly felt terrified and paranoid. At least if they were home I’d feel a little safer.

                My eyes watered and I fought back the scared tears. My breathing increased, and I dug my nails into my arm, trying to fight off a panic attack.

                “Will,” I choked out. I wanted Will. No, I needed Will.

                But it was the middle of the night and there was no way he’d be awake right now. I didn’t want to wake him up by calling him.

                But…

                I was so scared right now. Downright terrified, actually, because you never knew what was lurking in the dark. I was too afraid to even get up and go turn on my light. I shakily reached over, grabbing my cell phone and debating if I wanted to use the flashlight.

                If I can see it, it can see me.

                “Stop it,” I told myself sternly. There was nothing in the house. No “it”.

                Was there?

                “Will, I whispered, my trembling increasing. I didn’t want to wake him up, but I knew I needed to, because if I fell into a panic attack right now while I was alone, it could end very badly.

                I dialed his number, holding the phone up to my ear. He probably wouldn’t even hear his phone go off. It was the middle of the damn night!

                “Hello?”  a very groggy voice answered.

                “Will,” I whimpered.

                “Ethan,” he said, sounding alert. “What’s wrong?”

                “I need you. Please. Please come over,” I said, hating how scared I sounded.

                “Okay, okay, I’m coming right now,” he said, and I could hear the sound of his car keys jangling. “I’ll be there in a few minutes. What’s wrong? Tell me what’s wrong while I’m driving there.”

                “I had a nightmare,” I said, feeling sick to my stomach now. “I can’t remember what it was. But there was something in my room. God, there was something in my room. It’s so dark in my room, Will.” My trembling was increasing.

                “It’s okay. Ethan, it’s okay, I’ll be there in a few minutes and it won’t be dark anymore,” he assured.

                “There’s a spare key hidden under the flower pot outside,” I said, rocking myself and trying not to cry in sheer terror. The middle of the night is when I always got bad like this. In the darkness and the silence, when I didn’t know what was in my room, whether it was a monster or a bad memory.

                “What did you and Benji do when you hung out in the afternoon?” he asked.

                “We went swimming,” I said, my eyes darting around the room again. “We went swimming in his pool. It was just me and him. Then his parents invited me to have dinner there.”

                “That sounds really nice,” he said. “What did you eat?”

                “Just pasta.” I heard a creak and some part of me told me it was just the house settling, but it still earned a whimper from me. “Will,” I whispered.

                I heard the car door shut, both on the phone and outside my window. “I’m here, I’m right here, I’ll be in your room,” he said and I heard the door opening.

                A minute later, my bedroom door opened and I shielded my eyes as the lights came on. Will hurried over to me as I hung up the phone.

                He pulled me into his arms, rocking with me, kissing me, stroking my hair. I buried my face against his chest, clinging to him.

                “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to wake you up. I’m sorry,” I said miserably.

                “Hey, don’t worry about it,” he said gently, kissing me. “It’s okay. Calm down. I’m right here. I’ll stay here for the night. You’re safe. I promise you’re safe.”

                He laid down with me in his arms, kissing me again and holding me close. “I promise you’re safe. Just try to go back to sleep. You can stay at my house until your parents get home,” he said, continuing to stroke my hair.

                I closed my eyes, my body still trembling. Will pulled the covers over us and kissed my forehead, his strong arms around me making me feel safe.

                “I love you. I love you so much,” I whispered, my body curled with his.

                “I love you too. You’re safe,” he said soothingly.

                I felt myself actually drifting off to sleep as my trembling eased. Will was still stroking my hair and as I felt his lips press against my forehead again, I felt so grateful to him and so lucky to have him as my boyfriend.