Prompt #67

Prompt- Ethan is having a bad day and Will tries to cheer him up

-----------------------------

​My bedroom door banged open and I scowled. "Knock!"

​But then I noticed Ethan's expression. He looked like a combination of misery and anger. He kicked the door shut and leaned against it, crossing his arms.

​There was a bruise under his eye, along with him shifting his weight to one side. He let his backpack slide off his shoulder and drop to the floor. He kicked it to the side, ignoring the papers that spilled out from it. I could see two failing grades amongst the pile.

​"What happened to your face?" I demanded.

​"JOHN CENA."

​"Ethan!" I glared at him.

​"Well, it starts with a J." He limped over and sat on the edge of my bed, arms still crossed.

​"Jude," I growled.

​"Don't bother with it. It's not worth it," he said.

​"You look like you just watched that scene in Elfen Lied where they beat the puppy to death with a vase," I said.

​"Hey now, we don't talk about that scene," Ethan said. "Look, it's just been a shitty day. I'm tired, I got my ass kicked for walking alone in the hallway, I failed two papers I spent hours writing, I've barely eaten anything all day...I just want to sit here and be moody and not be judged for it."

​I scowled at him, but in my head, I was trying to think of a way to cheer him up. I hated seeing him in such a bad mood.

​"Do you want to watch a movie?" I offered.

​"Hell no, not with a film student. I hate watching movies with you. Do you know that I can't watch The Exorcist without analyzing shot composition? I don't even know what shot composition is, but I freaking analyze it thanks to you," he said.

​"Shot composition is important!" I said defensively.

​"So is enjoying a movie! I just wanted to cringe when the devil grabbed that guy's balls and instead I had to listen to you babble about the shot choice," he said.

​"Fine, fine, no movie!" I grumbled. What else could I do to cheer Ethan up? If his leg was bothering him then he wouldn't want to go to the park.

​He didn't want to watch a movie, I couldn't bring him to the park, and I wouldn't have money to take him out anywhere until the end of the week. What the hell was I supposed to do with him?

​I let out a frustrated sigh, wrapping an arm around him, scowling. He looked at me in confusion.

​"What? Why do you look miserable? Oh, did Jude punch you in the face too? That would explain why you're ugly," he said.

​"Shut up. I don't know how to cheer you up," I said in annoyance.

​To my surprise, Ethan actually cracked a little smile. "You already are, dumbass. Would I have come here if I didn't think it would cheer me up?"

​I pulled him closer to me, inspecting the bruise on his face. "Let me ice it for you. And your leg."

​He shook his head, holding me as I moved to get up. "Maybe in a little. Can we just lie down? I'm tired," he said.

​"Fine. We can lie down for a little. But then I'm icing your wounds and I'm making you dinner. And you're going to eat all the food I make you," I said. He was far too skinny and he never thought to take care of himself.

​"Yea, sure, deal." He tugged me down on the bed, curling against me. I stroked his hair and he closed his eyes. "Thanks for putting up with my moodiness."

​"Whatever." I kissed his cheek, pulling the blankets over us. I guess I could let him sleep for a little. Maybe it would ease his mood and we could play a game when he woke up. I just wanted to cheer him up.