Prompt #64

Prompt: Everyone kept prompting the Ethan/Will proposal, so here ya gooo

————————————————————————————————————————————————

                Will held my hand over the table as we waited for our dinner. He'd been quiet lately, and moodier than usual whenever we went out anywhere.

                Every time I asked him if things were okay, he'd snap that everything was fine, then get all upset and apologize to me. Normally I could figure out what was wrong with Will, but this was something new to me.

                "I'm going to steal some of your food," I said.

                "That's fine. You're the one who insisted on paying. Help yourself," he said, playing with his straw wrapper and not looking at me.

                "Stop being moody," I said, squeezing his hand. "You're on a date with me. You should be absolutely thrilled."

                He looked up at me slowly. "Sorry. I had a long day at work."

                "You've had a long day at work every day for the past two weeks," I reminded.

                "It's been a rough two weeks," he said.

                "Are you ever going to tell me what's wrong?" I asked.

                He shrugged. "Maybe."

                A waiter came out, setting our dinner down on the table. I released Will's hand and the two of us began to eat.

                "Is yours good?" I asked.

                "Yea, it's good," he said.

                I reached over, stealing some of Will's food. He scowled, but didn't stop me. Aw, my cute, whipped boyfriend.

                "You've been cleaning the apartment a lot," I said.

                "I like it clean when I have work to do," he said. "Does having a clean apartment bother you?"

                "No. You've just never cleaned it every single day," I said. Whatever was wrong had started about two weeks ago, when Will's mood had plummeted. He had been cleaning our apartment almost obsessively. Sometimes more than once a day.

                "Everyone has to start somewhere," he said. "Give me some of your food."

                I forked a piece of my food and let Will take a bite. When we were done, I paid for us, and we left the restaurant together, holding hands.

                "Ethan, home isn't this way," Will said in confusion as I tugged him along a side trail.

                "No, but there is something special this way," I said, dragging him along.

                He gave up and allowed me to drag him down the trail. I pulled him out to an area we came to sit at a lot. Since we'd moved away from our home town for Will's work, we'd found this place to act as our new park. An area for us to go and be cute together in.

                It was an open field, circled by trees, flowers, and tall grass. It was away enough that the sky was clear and open to the stars.

                "Stargazing? I don't feel like it tonight," Will said, scowling. "Let's go home. We can stargaze another time."

                "We're not stargazing," I said.

                "Then what are we doing here?" he asked.

                I reached in my pocket before getting down on one knee in front of Will. I watched as his eyes widened in disbelief.

                I opened the box, revealing the engagement ring I had bought for him. "William Alexander Duvet, you drive me crazy, you're a moody asshole, and your scowl darkens everything in a 10 mile radius. But I am sappily, helplessly in love with you, and I want to spend the rest of my life with your inconveniently named self. Will you marry me?"

                His eyes watered and he looked away from me, rubbing at them. "Shit," he choked out, and let out a weak laugh. "Leave it to you to ruin my plans."

                "Were you planning on leaving me?" I asked, and my voice was light, but I was verging on a panic attack from all this anxiety. I had expected a yes...

                He pulled me to my feet, hugging me tightly. "I was going to ask you to marry me. But I lost the engagement ring two weeks ago," he said, letting out another weak laugh. "I've been searching the whole apartment for it. You asked me to be your boyfriend, and I wanted to ask you to be my husband."

                "Is that a yes?" I said. "Because, you know, I just asked you to marry me and you still haven't answered me..."

                "Of course it's a yes. I love you, you sarcastic, plan-ruining bastard," he said, and kissed me so hard I was surprised he didn't break my lips.

                I pulled away from his lips and slid the ring onto his finger. He looked down at it and smiled softly.

                "I love you Ethan. I'm sorry I lost the ring," he said miserably. "I was trying to hide it from you, so I kept moving it. I thought I put it in blue bag, but I couldn't find the bag..."

                "Wait, you mean the blue bag that was in the laundry room? Because your sister took it when she came to visit," I said. "And that was...two weeks ago. She needed something to throw the extra clothes she was taking in, so she used that bag."

                Will groaned. "My sister has your engagement ring. God, she really does hate me."

                "She probably tossed the bag in her garage and never even knew," I said, hugging Will. "It doesn't matter. We're engaged, Will." I stopped, my eyes going wide. "Wow. We're...we're really engaged, Will. We're going to be married. We're going to be husbands."

                He kissed me, a lot gentler this time. "I love you. I'm glad we're engaged. I love you so much, Ethan."

                "I love you too," I said, resting my body against his, smiling widely. William Duvet and I were actually going to be married. 

———————————————————————————————————————————————————-

A.N.- I'm not sure why everyone assumed it would be Will who would propose since Ethan tends to be more open and take-charge about things than Will...but this is how I pictured it to go down!