Chapter 26: Hit by a Train.

I had to help the guys set up their set in Long Beach. The days have been hard and it’s difficult to work with them. I get paid and that goes toward my future.

I haven’t told any of them about what happened. I’ve hidden the letters under my bed so they can’t be found. I read every last one of them, it was heart wrenching to read them but it’s made me feel better. I feel lighter now, happier to wake up in the morning even after a few days.

Since I don’t need to sit my exams because I’m already graduating honor roll. So for the next few weeks I don’t need to go to school so I’m helping the guys finish off their tour.

I carried heavy things and placed them in the right place, I’ve learned a lot from them these past few years and I’m happy for that. I haven’t met the new drummer yet but I hear he’s young, like younger than Johnny and Johnny is only twenty seven. I shook my head and worked hard for my pay. I haven’t opened my mouth since I woke up this morning which is making the guys nervous around me. I wheeled an amp into place and tapped the cords to the floor so no one would trip over them. I’ve been doing this since six o’clock this morning. I’d rather be here doing stuff then be alone in a house that has those letters in it.

I tied my hair back into a pony tail. My pink blouse hung open slightly, showing the ink that covered my chest. My ripped jeans were perfect for today since I’ll be climbing and crawling. I’ll basically be living in a man’s world for the day but Matt promised me I got to hang around back stage and watch them play.

I sat on my hands and knees, tapping the cords to the floor, my gaze ran over to a pair of dirty, old white sneakers that walked across the stage. My eyes ran up the jeaned legs and grey tee shirt to see a Spanish boy with shaggy black hair that was slightly curled. He ran to the other side of the stage, he looked really young.  Like too young to be here. I stood up and watched him carefully. I could feel my mouth curl into a smile as he came back around. His brown eyes wandered over to me, he smiled shyly and can over to me.

“Hey, have you seen Matt?” He asked. I nodded and smiled.

“Yeah, he’s outside calling Val.” I replied sweetly. He nodded and walked passed me. I turned to watch him curiously.

“Wait!” I bellowed out uncontrollably. He stopped and looked over at me. The way he looked at me made my heart race inside my chest. My smile faded slightly and worry took over me.

“What?” He questioned. I furrowed my eye brows at him.

“Who are you?” I asked boldly. He smiled and chuckled.

“I’m Arin, the new drummer.”  He replied. I smiled and nodded happily knowing he’s not some crazed fan who will attack the band at first sight. I’d probably shoot myself if I let that happen. But that was Arin, the new drummer? All I’ve got to say is, damn that boy is fine.

I giggled at my thought and shook my head, twirling the roll of black electrical tape around my finger. I turned to see Brian standing there with his arm crossed over his chest, he wore a smug expression; like he knew what I was thinking and feeling. He chuckled slightly and waltzed over to my side.

“Don’t even think about it.” He said in a cute, girly voice. I gave him a questionable expression, trying to act cool with this. I tried to be innocent.

“Think about what?” I asked. Brian laughed hardily and patted my head. I was as tall as he was so we were eye to eye.

“You’re blushing and giggling and doing that girl thing you do after you get hit by the ‘crushing on the new drummer who is twenty four years old’ train.” He said with the quotation points. I shook my head and tried not to blush a bright red. But Arin is twenty four? Really, he’s twenty four? He looks my age. I sighed and looked at Brian with a cocked eye brow.

“So what if I have a crush on him?” I asked. Brian crossed his arms again and looked at me with a serious expression. I knew I was pushing his buttons and I’m good at it.

“What would your dad say if he found out his daughter had a crush on a twenty four year old?” Brian questioned me. I could tell I was flaring my nostrils at him. He had no right to bring my dad up in this. I don’t care if they were best friends; there is a huge difference in thinking you know what your best friend will say to their kid and actually knowing. I bit my lip and put my hands on my hips with an arched eye brow.

“I think he’ll say as long as that person makes me happy, that’s all that matters.” I replied with a slight attitude in my voice. Brian shook his head with a deep sigh.

“Peasnie, don’t.” He warned me. I smirked slightly.

“And what if I do?” I asked. Brian laughed a hardy chuckle and shook his head.

“I’ll tell Matt.” He threatened. Matt said I’m not allowed to like boys at all. No there is no sex in his house or if there is, be safe. It’s simple as no boys in your life at all, unless their Lucas. Since Lucas is gay and won’t make a pass at me. My cocky smirk faded into something serious. My arms dropped to my sides with my eyes opened wide.

“You wouldn’t tell Matt?” I questioned his threat. Brian nodded with a black mailing smile.

“I would tell Matt.” He repeated.

“You’d tell Matt what?” Matt asked as he came onto the stage with Arin trailing behind him with a grateful smile that made my heart rate speed up slightly.

“Nothing.” Brian and I replied in sync. Matt raised his eye brows and shook his head with a heavy exhale of air. I narrowed my gaze at Brian and grinned devilishly and went over to help Arin set up his drums. I couldn’t help but share glances with Brian and every once in a while Matt would throw in a glance between Brian and myself. I’m so evil.

I smiled at Arin and helped him tuning the drums. He stopped what he was doing and looked at me with furrowed eye brows.

“You look fermilure.” He said softly. I smiled and laughed softly with a small nod.

“I should. I’m Jimmy’s daughter, Peasnie.” I replied with a gentle tone. His eyes widened with surprise.

“Wait, you’re Jimmy’s daughter. The mini Rev.” Arin said the nickname Zacky gave me when I first met them. It kinda stuck but the other guys gave me the title of Drummer Girl. I smiled and blushed brightly, nodding again.

“Yep, that’s me.” I choked out. Arin jumped down from where the drums were and stood beside me, he was the same height as me so we stood looking eye to eye. He frowned softly and fiddled with some stuff.

“If you’re Jimmy’s daughter and you can drum then why don’t you fill in?” He questioned. He just asked a very personal question that made my heart ache slightly. I stared down at my hands and stopped the pain from coming to the surface. I frowned and sighed. Here comes the truth.

“I haven’t played the drums since my dad died.” I said sullenly. Arin’s expression turned when I said that in response to his question. He sighed and put his hands on his hips with a small frown.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t,”

“No, it’s fine.” I interrupted him rudely but I didn’t need a heart filled apology. I don’t need people feeling sorry for me. I don’t need it nor did I want it. Arin looked at me with a shy smile.

“You want to get something to eat after the show?” He asked softly. I propped my head up and looked at him with wide eyes. My heart was racing inside my chest and that hasn’t happened to me until today. I smiled widely and nodded.

“Yeah, sure.” I replied. Arin smiled, his smile lit up his face which made me melt inside.

“Cool.” He said then walked away. I watched him as he passed Brian. Brian stared at me with a serious expression. It’s like he heard what we were talking about. He shook his head and turned away from me. I didn’t see what the big deal was, honestly. It’s only getting a bite to eat after a show. Nothing special.